Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 PM

yes its the same company,they have a distributor in utah,and they have a skid plate for the FSE

Old 02-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Site Sponsor

Actually the dist is in Minnesota.
http://www.hyderacing.com/home.htm
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 AM

Hyde Developments is a South African based manufacturer. The guy who owns it is Terrence Hyde, and still races in the old boys class. He used my '06 FSE450 to make the moulds for a skid plate / pipe protector and also swing arm guards. Next items to develop are a really strong and "rock proof" front disc guard, light but tough radiator shields and a cosmetic clutch casing cover.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 PM

ok I got my combo skid plate and pipe guard and I'm doing a little bit of head scratching on the install. to mount the plate to the frame rails it uses three clamps. One clamp with two screw holes for the front and then two clamps w/one screw hole, one for each rear frame rail. I got three allen bolts about 1 inch long and here is the head scratching part ... one threaded rod the same thickness and thread pitch as the allen bolts, but about two inches long. No bolt head just two inches of threaded rod. Any clue what this is for. I haven't delved into things to deep but at this point I'm thinking I'm short one allen bolt and plus one piece of rod that goes in the trash????

The other thing i'm curious about is the mounting dohickys that are on the pipe clamps used on the pipe guard. I'm assuming they are some sort of spacer?? and what about those two rubber washers???

Oh well I'm going to go fuss with it after I get some food in my belly, Hopefully i got the sense to get it figured out
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 PM

skid,

I have 4 allen bolts (M5 x 20), and everything you have, including no drawing or instructions. You are missing a bolt. My take on the threaded rod is its an installation tool for the front bracket. You thread it into the bracket, place the bracket on the frame, and pass the rod through the hole in the plate as you position it. Now you can pull the bracket down with the rod and install the other bolt. Rear brackets just seem like they would loosely stay with the plate. The studs on the pipe clamps must replace a rubber insulator in the pipe guard, and the stack of fiber washers is to adjust fit on the pipe. The red rubber washers appear to be high temp silicone with an M5 hole, and probably go on the clamp studs last, so they contact the pipe guard and function as insulators.

Of course, I don't have a bike here yet to verify this, but its my best guess. Next week I'll know.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:33 PM

I concur with the threaded rod idea. It's to help line up the front bracket. This thing is a bear to mount btw. Might be because my pipe may have a slight bend from when i tagged a stump last fall. My allen bolts are too short to get too the front bracket tho. Plus I didn't bungy off the kick stand and the damn bike fell over while i was jiggling the bash plate into place and broke my new, never used $40 shorty clutch perk when it crashed onto the concrete floor. Made a hell of a bang when it hit the floor. Bad enought I cut myself on something when picking it up but, might have bent the pipe a bit on that gig too. I found the holes that the little spacer things go to on the pipe clamps but I screwed up on the red washers and put them on the outside. I got a third pipe clamp w/no mounting/spacer thing... I'm assuming it's for where ever you want to put it. A piece of paper w/a few words about mounting the thing would make things a bit smoother.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:00 PM

My third clamp was already threaded through the guard on the large end. I guess that this being the cooler end of the pipe needs no insulator.

I always put hose sections on the frame tubes to keep the frame from getting eaten up by sand and vibration with the skid plate. It may pay to get creative and retain the bracket to the frame at the same time.

Get rid of that side stand, there are plenty of trees in the woods to lean on.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 PM

Hyde is still based in South Africa.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Just mounted the HP-EXG-57 Exhaust/sump guard for the FSE '06-'07 on my '05.
Unfortunately the South African Hyde site does not specify year for this plate. This came as a surprise when I opened my package.

So..

Had to modify it slightly to accomodate the frame oil drain. Also the frame tubes seems slightly different between '05 and '06, so I needed to add 8 mm's of washers between the plate and the front mounts. This puts the guard somewhat offset from the frame tubes. Lets hope it does not reduce the ability to take hits 'under belly'.

Also the supplied allen bolts had their head protrude from the plate, they would hook up in rocks etc, so I changed them to bolts with lower profile heads.

I have yet to give it a good rock beating, but so far I am pleased with the reduced sound reflection compared to my old home made alu guard.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 AM

Just installed a Hyde skid plate that I bought from Gofasters. Although there were no installation istructions, it was relatively easy. I first removed the exhaust pipe. I then positioned the skid plate and put the bike on a stand to hold the plate in place. The treaded rod works well to align the front bracket. If you put it in the right hole, you only need to make it finger tight and it will allow you to swing the other side into position. I used a vice grip to hold the threaded rod. I found that the supplied bolts were not quite long enough to start, so I used a slightly longer bolt first. You can then screw out the threaded rod and install the second bolt. I was then able to remove the longer, temporary bolt, and replace it with the supplied bolt. The rear brackets were a snap.

The plate fits and looks fantastic on my bike (06 EC300). I would recommend the Hyde skid plate for anyone looking for a lightweight, good fitting plate.