Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Default 03 ec300 top end

I am thinking about rebuilding the top end on my 03 ec300 . It hasn't ever been done on this bike to my knowledge.I am sure there are tons of threads on this subject but I cant find it. Anyways since the last top end I have done was on a 80's Jap bike several years ago I am a bit rusty. So I suppose my question to you all is what part combo works the best on the GasGas. I don't have much desire to change the way the engine preforms. A little more bottom end wouldn't hurt but I like the way it works now.So any tech and suggestions would be appreciated.Oh and please don't forget to let me know if there is a certain way that something comes apart that would be different from any other bike.
Thanks in advance
Wade

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM

What brand of piston kit would you use ? Good spot to get cyl. bored and re coated if needed?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:57 PM

yeah, there are a ton of threads on re-ring and re-piston. Power valve disassembly is one topic. Original cylinder size (A,B,C, it's stamped on the cylinder near or below the reed cage I think) A is smallest diameter. If you don't need replating then look for a piston 1 letter size larger. Score one on ebay, they're always for sale there. If you do need replating go with the "A" size piston for a fresh start.
Get gaskets and seals from GoFasters or Tasky's. Not much savings to be had on them.
Millenium did my replating for a very reasonable price (can't remember how much though). And they did a good job and were quick. Call them for instructions instead of just shipping it if that's what you're going to do. Send the new piston with it so they can size it correctly or just buy the new piston from them, they'll give a good price if you do.
It's not hard.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 03-03-2011, 01:20 AM

Thanks Jeff for the advice . If it comes down to the full re plate job I will probably just do as you say and buy the piston from them .It sounds like the way to go.Thankfully it isn't something that is needed right now. I am hoping to get a season out of it .