Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

That would make sense to me. Explains why my ASII with non notced #7 needs to run so lean. Also noticed in the yamaha manuals that usa/canada always gets richer stock settings than the rest of the world.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 PM

I'm going to try and look at these carbs tomorrow. My NECF just came so Im curious how that will feel in position #4.

Another variable is possibly my cylinder. Its cast by S3, marked on the base. Smooth port finishes. I do not remember my other GGs being like this, but perhaps all the newer bikes are.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I'm going to try and look at these carbs tomorrow. My NECF just came so Im curious how that will feel in position #4.

Another variable is possibly my cylinder. Its cast by S3, marked on the base. Smooth port finishes. I do not remember my other GGs being like this, but perhaps all the newer bikes are.
I remember reading in a UK brochure that the '12s had an "improved Gilardoni cylinder" but how can one tell ?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 AM

Hey Glenn,, I may have an extra #7 slide from a air striker carb.. I'll check to see what it is in case you want to play around with some extra parts.. in fact I have a almost complete AS carb..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
I remember reading in a UK brochure that the '12s had an "improved Gilardoni cylinder" but how can one tell ?
Send an email to gas gas uk , they are probably sick of me by now
Old 08-25-2012, 05:31 PM

Tried the NECF in #4. A little more torque, still nice and smooth. Looked at both carbs, the same as far as I can tell by what I could measure. Now, for the hell of it I put the #7 slide WITHOUT the notch in the '12 ASI carb, with the JD Blue in #3, basically the same jetting that I run in the '07 and have run in the '03. Guess what? The bike found its balls off the bottom! Runs just like the '07 now. That notch has a definite effect on the mixture off idle, more so than just the idle like many have said. This proves it in this carb anyway. The idle had to be readjusted as well as the airscrew but the bike pulls hard through the lower mid now like it never did.

So, in effect it was running like it had a leaner slide. You need fuel for torque, and all these real clean settings were not making it. Now it wheelies off the throttle like never before and the map switch works. The map change had no effect before because in the RPM range of the timing advance change, it was too lean to make more power anyway.

Now, why the hell does the factory just do s^&t like this? Someone is making some bad decisions. At least test, change, and document.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

You don't think whatever carbs are available, an N1EF#2 with 40 and 175 is acceptable Glenn?

So what range you do feel the notch is affecting?? 0-1/4?? Sounds like the clip position only had a mild influence so I'm guessing below 1/4. In saying that the notch makes the slide feel one leaner, do you think you could achieve the same results running something like a N3EE, NOZE, or NEDE?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 PM

I guess my standards are higher.

It basically affects what the slide affects, up to about 1/4. There is no doubt in my mind that changing to the non-notched #7 added fuel and a significant torque increase in this off idle to 1/4 area. Before this, I always felt that I was fighting something trying to get that meaty low/mid pull out of the bike, something was not right. It was harder to wheelie over logs, now its just a half hearted twist and she's up. JD Blue is the richest dia I have tried. When I ordered the NED/NEC series the F dia was the richest listed on the Suzuki parts list.

I'm thinking of trying a #6.5 notched slide. The notch does give the bike a cleaner idle and better airscrew response, and may balance out close to the #7 based on todays results. Then I'll try and work up some settings with the NED/NEC series. With the right slide it should be easier to work up some good settings. I like the smooth power for some situations, but the JD Blue is great for most and the map switch tames it down a bit if needed. Really its about getting a power delivery I'm familiar with before racing for points next month.