Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 09-17-2018, 06:08 AM

Default XC vs EC suspension

Talking to several dealers the suspension is exactly the same. Watching a bunch of reviews on YouTube the XC has a slightly stiffer suspension. Which is it on 2018 300s ?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Both the same.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:43 AM

There were two very popular video reviewers who claimed the EC was softer (and the XC was already too soft for these Men of Moto). That was the usually excellent ?Cross Trainer? channel from Aussie Land, and the other was one of the ?Dirt Bike? branded sites.

Everybody else says the are the same. That?s not to say that it might be good to have the EC somewhat softer. But sourcing that from Kayaba might be an extra challenge.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:32 PM

I just rode both back to back on the weekend. The EC does seem softer, but I didn't mess with any clickers on the XC and that may have been the only difference. The EC was set to comfort as per the owners manual. The XC was a demo that gets raced once a month by a local fast guy, then goes back to the dealer in-between races for trail ride and demo duty, so I expect he may have it dialed up for the hard hits. The importer can't seem to answer the question either. I can tell you the FMF head pipe makes a big difference though.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:31 PM

I think you might be on to something regarding the perceived difference.

Clickers.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
There were two very popular video reviewers who claimed the EC was softer (and the XC was already too soft for these Men of Moto). That was the usually excellent ?Cross Trainer? channel from Aussie Land, and the other was one of the ?Dirt Bike? branded sites.

Everybody else says the are the same. That?s not to say that it might be good to have the EC somewhat softer. But sourcing that from Kayaba might be an extra challenge.

The Aussie review of the bike was a load of crap. There is no doubt he is a Beta fan boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
The Aussie review of the bike was a load of crap. There is no doubt he is a Beta fan boy
Given how closely he works with Tim Coleman, and that Timmy is in agreement with Beta it only makes sense from a marketing point for him to favour certain brands. Certainly nothing new in the industry!!

Every bike is a little different. Suspension takes time to bed in, clickers make differences, but even tuners who have dynos can find differences in performance between runs with the same valving in the same shock. Bum dyno always lies too!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 AM

I have a 2018 GP (36 hours) and a 2019 EC (6 hours), both 300's.

When the EC had 3 hours I rode it back to back with the GP. GPs fork was set to "comfort", the EC's to "standard". Both felt the same. That lets me believe that the GP is set up stiffer.

Cheers Doc
Old 10-01-2018, 05:16 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Suspension is totally subjective- we all like different things. ADB( in OZ), thought the stock GG suspension was very firm. I thought it was soft/perfect. Also depends what you're doing on it- 5kph rock hopping or 140 kph fire roads.
Sure Barry seems tied to Beta, but I like his work and I appreciate the many hours he puts into producing the videos, and I do think he tells it like he sees it.
My bro just swapped out of an '18 GG 250 into a '18 Beta 300: whilst the Beta fork is no KYB, it's pretty bloody good and perfect for the riding he does ( trying- often successfully- to be Jarvis-like).
The most interesting thing is I know 5 guys with 18's: none have changed the springs ( and their weight range is 75-> 100kg ) and all love the GG suspension.
Must be pretty good right?!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'll let you know Jon.. When I ride the bloody thing. I'm very interested to compare it back to back with what I had previously, which you will have soon!