Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Update...

The bike has miraculously cured itself.

Took the clutch cover off to see if the basket bolts were backing out. Looked fine and since I lost some oil, I changed it again with a different oil. The oil I drain out looked fine, no shavings.

I wasn't feeling ambitious enough to pull the side case and inspect the kickstarter mechanism, which I was suspecting.

So I fire the bike up and start riding up and down my street . I rode it for at least 5 minutes and no noise? In the next couple of days, I hope to ride it for real and see how it goes.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM

I wonder if something (loctite, grease...who knows) got on the clutch plates during assembly and now has come off. That is the only explanation I could think of if nothing mechanically changed.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
I am really surprised by bikes supplied in a crate. It is my undersanding that all bikes, regardless of brand in Australia, are required to be set up by the dealer for this very reason. They ensure the bike is assembled, check & tested so in turn a warranty can be provided.

It also lets a dealer set up the bike for the customer the way they want it.
I had mine shipped to Swaziland from the South African importer, that is why it was in the crate, they did also include a litre of GRO oil, but as it looked like there was oil using the oil level window i did not bother changing it
Old 08-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Rode the bike tonight for about a half hour. No noise. The bike cured itself? I talked to the distributor tonight and he had conversations with GoFasters about it. It might have been a burr on a kickstart gear that was causing it too hang up? Not sure, but the bike seems to run fine and I'm not going to worry about it and just ride the bike.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Was the noise a "ratcheting" sound like when you engage the kick starter with the engine running?
If so, that would narrow it down to kick starter issues.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Was the noise a "ratcheting" sound like when you engage the kick starter with the engine running?
If so, that would narrow it down to kick starter issues.
Not really, but the kickstarter was vibrating severely and sound was coming from that general area.

Last edited by 2whlrcr; 08-19-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:59 AM

Back in the old days (pre '02) the bikes used close fiitting plain bearings in the transmission between the gears and shafts. Sometimes when the bikes were new and breaking in, you would hear this type of nasty squealing noise for brief periods of time. My '00 did it and I have heard others do it at events. It was actually a partial seizure until whatever caused the friction was released, the trans never locked up and operated fine. When you eventually tore the lower end down, you could see evidence of this on the parts, although the bike ran perfect for a couple years after the incident. Since then, the design has been changed to incorporate needle bearings in these areas. I think the remaining plain bearing is in the idler gear for the kickstarter, which is common for all bikes. Perhaps this was binding for some reason, and might make sense considering the visual clue of the kickstarter vibrating. If it were mine I'd pull the side cover and have a look.

Did you change the oil, and did it come out with any debri? Drain plug magnet relatvely clean?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I have just pulled mine down again as it got a little low on oil due to a clutch cover gasket leak and I had a very similar sound,(hence , the pull down).
I found absolutely nothing wrong or burnt,(evidence of too much heat),at all but did notice that the end of the kickstart spring,( the bit that locates in and goes past the nylon ring underneath),was sheared off and gone. Also , the nylon bush was chewed up a little.
The sound this did for me was a screeching, sqealing sort of a sound almost like a very loud brake pad scrape, but coming from the motor.
This may not help but the noise and location is similar.
Cheers Mark
Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

By the way, I fixed the leak out on the track and refilled the bike with the 350mm of engine oil I had at the fuel dump.I was racing at the time and the noise occurred as I was entering the fuel dump.
I putted around the fuel dump a bit....no noise , so finished the lap I was on and then for safety sake pulled the pin on the race.
The bike rode as good as ever after refilling the oil.
Cheers Mark
Old 08-19-2010, 02:06 PM

The noise you described sounds similar and yes I think it might have been the kickstart idler gear. I did drain the oil and no evidence of metal.