Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Site Sponsor

Default So I took the Six Days to the MX track

I know its not the right environment but we have a GP next week at the track so I went to see how the Gasser would react to some light MX work. Actually not bad at all. The engine works fine from mid to top. I think I might do the 39MM mod I did on my 300 XC and some head work but there is nothing holding the engine back from turning good lap times. The tranny did seem stiff with the 3rd to 4th shift under a load but the engine has only 3-4 hours on it and I think raising the shifter a tad might help also. The suspension would be fine with some heavier fork springs and the 45's would probably be a tad flexy for a really fast MXer but for Vet MX they are workable. I would love to ride a bike with the new 48MM closed cartridge Zokes. The chassis that works so well in the woods works equally as good for the track. Accurate cornering in the ruts and stable on hairy straights. Very neutral over jumps and easy to manipulate in the air. It performs good enough so that when I get the suspension dialed and the engine mods done I going to race some MX with it. It already pisses guys off when I show up with a 300 XC with bark busters on it and run with CRF450's. I can't wait to show up with a bike with a headlight.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 PM

That's awesome! Go get em!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 AM

I totally agree the 2010 GG 300 it's lots of fun on a MX track. My son puts in most of his time on the MX track with his. The smooth power and awesome balance makes jumping a breeze. I don't need to tell you guys how well they turn. So go get'm dcg141!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Site Sponsor

First race this weekend on the 300. New springs front and rear. Should be much better balanced.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Go get'm and good luck!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Site Sponsor

It rained about 2 inches Saturday and turned pretty cold Sunday morning with flurries. Scared off alot of folks and the turnout was not that good. I won the combined Vet,Sr, and B class maybe 10 guys total. I gave some swag to give away and one of my jerseys with my name on the back got in the box so the promoter drew names from the combined class and the winner has to wear my jersey at the next race because he could not beat the oldest guy there. The Gasser did great. Very slick conditions to begin the day but it got better as the day went on. This the first time I have raced something other than a KTM in over 15 years. I'm getting closer to really getting the bike dialed in like I want it. I gotta say that is one sweet engine in the slick stuff.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Site Sponsor

A MX buddy of mine called over the weekend and said a few guys were going to a private track to pratice and invited me out..said it was real easy. I loaded up the Gasser with new springs and jetting because it was a rare dry and warm day today and I had not much else to do. I get there and there are about 15 guys..many of whom I recognize as a very fast MX crowd..and then I see the track....HUGE jumps. 40-50 footers alot blind uphills and a couple of supercross style that really throw you up in the air. I'm thinkin I brought the wrong bike and at 50 I'm not sure I'm up to this anymore. But I'm there and the track is in very good shape so I go out just to look around and the jumps looked even more intimidating as I rode over them. I pick a combo of uphill double to a tabletop and back to an even bigger double to start and see if I want any of this. I try a couple of shots at the first double and finally after few runs I pull the trigger and hit the face and...over no prob. Wow..the bike felt great. I hit it again and gather in the 2 table tops the second takes at least 50 feet to clear and again the bike handles both with no issue. The next uphill double is really tall and about 40 foot to clear it with a corner right after so you have to catch it at just the right speed..so I cheat and wait for on of the fast guys to come around and I follow him over it to get the right speed. What was cool was how easy I could catch the inside line very quickly after landing. The next series was 2 rhythm sections with several double combos with a triple out...I never did get the triple out but with a few more trips to the track and I think I might get those also. The last jump was a flat 60 footer that was just scary...if you missed it..ouch. I cheated again and followed someone over it and got that one down also. Later I found out one of the better Vet guys a few days earlier looked that that one all day before he tried it. The new springs worked great even on that MX track. Very balanced and I was railing around the rutted corners. The track was sooo tacky and nice and quite honestly the only reason I had much confidence to try all those jumps. This bike, much like the KTM 300 XC, is one very capable motorcycle.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Awesome great follow up report. I am 51 myself and after riding a 2010 Husky TC 250 on our MX track I jumped on the 2010 GG 300 and the first turn I was going so fast I almost went over the berm LOL. I over jumped most of the jumps on the first lap until I figured out I needed to slow down a little or go down. These bikes are very capable on a MX track and a lot of fun. BTW congrats on your race victory!