Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 12-26-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Triple clamp ??

I have an 01 200 Xc with W/P forks. I also have a set of Ohlins forks from a 200 that I'd like to put on but I noticed that the lower triple clamp is a different size. The Ohlins fork tubes are a larger diameter so my question is where can I find a lower triple clamp or is there one from a different bike that is interchangable?

05 Triumph Rocket III

Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned

Why not have the lower ones bored to work with the ohlins? cheap and dirty!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Default triple clamp

Thanks I have a mill and have done that in the past to fit these forks but I would like to have the option of putting the W/p back on.
05 Triumph Rocket III
Old 12-30-2007, 08:53 PM

If you find a source for a lower triple clamp, let me know.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:33 PM

Hi
I've been a lurking around for a while, but your thread finally prompted me to register...!

I've got an 05 ec200 - and might fit Ohlins forks to it - since I rushed out and bought some...
Both triple clamps are different and genuine clamps are available since Ohlins were an option - at least in 05 - I assume earlier models would be the same.

I haven't sourced some yet, to see if they fit ok, but I believe recent model honda CR / CRF triple clamps are the right size for the Ohlins forks. I've done some quick measurements and they seem the right size for the forks. The stem is a different size, so you would need to try to fit the gasgas stem to the honda triple clamps. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this.

I bought some forks that were intended for a cannondale. My installation efforts stalled as the end caps for mounting brakes and for the axel were also obviously different to the gasser.... Must get back to it though - Can anyone tell me if it worth the effort???

Richo
Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Save your $$ and time and get the Zokes dialed in. They work really well with a minimum of tuning. I had a Cannondale with Ohlins. They have terrible Pro-Action valving that needs to be scrapped. It was way too stiff on the Cannondale and will be unridable on the GG. You need special tools to service the fork properly yourself, where the Zokes are easy. Then there is the foot issue to deal with.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:43 AM

dammit.... not really what I wanted to hear... still - saves a bit of work...
I could feel that they had a stiffer action / spring - but was looking forward to that. The Stock zokes are a little undersprung for me I think (~92kg)
Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 AM

Cannondale Ohlins came with either .47 or .48 springs if I remember. Three stage valving with Pro Action pistons, not the OEM Ohlins pistons. It was stupid stiff for me at 180 lbs., and the bike was 270 lbs with a lot of compression braking. Felt more like an SX setup than a woods setup. Les redid the whole package and it worked well, but honestly not as good as the Zokes. Ohlins are a PIA, you can't even change the oil easy as the carteidge is very difficult to bleed. JMO, but I'd put them back on ebay and use the cash to have the Zokes totally dialed in for you, unless you just want the challenge of the project.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 AM

Hi!

I have the opposite opinion about these Ohlins 46 forks from Cannondale. The biggest problem was to fit them properly on the ec250 ´98 first (for up to 07 model then it was a simple swap...at the end the whole 07 bike was stolen...).

I ended up paying extra for the axle and spacers from blackwidow.com, a new front wheel with disc from ebay, brake setup from a honda cr250 03 and 20mm offset clamps from protaper(ebay) for CR/CRF 2004. The honda stem is OK on the gasgas as long as you use the gasgas top bearing. The stock 24mm clamps from a crf are not good for enduro. I tried them first. The fork is easy to service and revalve the compression yourself as well as to change the springs. Search the forum for setup info on them. The quality is top as the other Ohlins forks and all parts are available from Ohlins (I needed some parts and all came fast from Sweden). The junk info that these are low quality forks was created because this liquidization damaged (or it was a threat) the Öhlins fork sales in the US. Plus negative feedback from the mags about the pro action valving, especially for off road.

I suggest to sell the Marzocchi setup and find the rest of the parts needed for a correct installation of the Ohlins on the gasgas. Especially if you plan to keep the bike for some time.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 AM

richo,

I've had all three forks apart (Ohlins, Zokes, WPs). Compression or base valve removal and springs are the same on any fork, thats the easy part. Revalve is not just compression however, and an oil change requires cartridge bleeding like any fork. If you find it easy to bleed the Ohlins cartridge, you either have the tool, or did not get all the air out. I suggest you give Les a call and ask him, he did a lot of Cannondales during their breif history.

I'm not saying the Ohlins fork is bad, it is a very high quality component. What I am saying is that for an average rider/racer who does his own work its a hassle and expense thats not worth it.

What don't you like about the Zokes? Make sure that lower clamp is not too tight, 12Nm. They could use a little shim tweaking but are not bad stock.