Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Default What oil and what ratio ec 300

Hi

Just got a 96 ec300. what 2 stroke oil is best and what ratio should I use? What are benefits of going fully synthetic?

How do you mix it when out on the trail. Guy I got it from suggested marking up an old pop bottel. seems like a good option if accurate enough.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljim View Post
Hi

Just got a 96 ec300. what 2 stroke oil is best and what ratio should I use? What are benefits of going fully synthetic?

How do you mix it when out on the trail. Guy I got it from suggested marking up an old pop bottel. seems like a good option if accurate enough.
40:1 is a pretty popular ratio. 250ml of oil to 10L of fuel

Synthetic oil is good because it tends to burn slightly cleaner, which is better for the power valve as it will tend to gum up less, and require less cleaning.
Although, oil is pretty subjective, and you tend to get a lot of answers for questions like these. Have a look at this thread on premix oils, and you'll see what I mean. http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12760

If I need to, I use a plastic bottle with oil to mix 5L of fuel, ie 125ml.
Seems to be fairly safe.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
40:1 is a pretty popular ratio. 250ml of oil to 10L of fuel

Synthetic oil is good because it tends to burn slightly cleaner, which is better for the power valve as it will tend to gum up less, and require less cleaning.
Although, oil is pretty subjective, and you tend to get a lot of answers for questions like these. Have a look at this thread on premix oils, and you'll see what I mean. http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12760

If I need to, I use a plastic bottle with oil to mix 5L of fuel, ie 125ml.
Seems to be fairly safe.
I carry 200ml of oil in a baby bottle (seals well and has volumes marked on the side). Its enough to make 10L at 50:1. When I hit the fuel stop. Close the petcock, drop 5L of fuel in, 100ml of oil, cap on and slosh until mixed. Open petcock and ride on! I also carry a 1L empty 2T oil bottle, sometimes with 1L of premix in it, othertimes empty. This allows you to measure 1L at a time if you need to scab fuel on the trail frm a 4T friend, and then premix.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM

So for full synthetic you run a higher ratio? 50 to 1
Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 PM

From the gas gas manual ( for 2010 ec models)

synthetic oil: Gas 50 parts/ Oil 1 part = 2%

semi synthetic oil: Gas 50 parts/ Oil 1 part = 2%

mineral oil: Gas 32 parts/ Oil 1 part = 3%

Just edited to add, that's for uk bikes.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks

I had loads of baby bottles, bags of them. I put them in the bin about 6 months ago!

I am going to run mx5 at 40 - 1. This is what the guy I bought it off did. However, It seemd to me running very rich but I think that could be down to the way I was riding it (very slow round the garden) I will Take it for a run down the road and see what is like.

He also put some Spacers on the read block so I am going to put that back to standard too.