Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 AM

Default Something heavy in my exhaust!

I took my exhaust off last night as it had been rattling. It seems to have something large and heavy floating about inside! The bike is an 04 200 but the exhaust is a bare metal GG one (has a GG part no. on it). Is this a catalyst? I think the exhaust is not original it was replacing the original Nickel one that has some dents. I put the old Nickel one on that the previous owner gave me as well. Whatever is inside is large, heavy and loose. It explains why sometimes the engine would behave differently then correct itself. It feels like whatever is inside is big enough to disrupt the pressure waves more than the dents in the old one!

I'm thinking of cutting the old pipe open - anyone done this? What's the best way to cut to be able to weld it up again without changing the fit? I'd be welding at home without any jigs etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Site Sponsor

If you look at the header pipe from the cylinder out you will find the first weld and if it looks like a much wider weld than a normal seam than you have a catalytic in the pipe. You should be able to cut it there at the part out the seam that is furthest from the beginning of the pipe. Mark the pipe in at least three spots with a scratch awl or center punch so they will line up after. Once cut you can take out the catalytic by screwing in a large screw and pulling it out.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cladoo View Post
If you look at the header pipe from the cylinder out you will find the first weld and if it looks like a much wider weld than a normal seam than you have a catalytic in the pipe. You should be able to cut it there at the part out the seam that is furthest from the beginning of the pipe. Mark the pipe in at least three spots with a scratch awl or center punch so they will line up after. Once cut you can take out the catalytic by screwing in a large screw and pulling it out.
Thanks for the advice on lining up - good ideas. Whatever is inside isn't fixed anymore it's rattling around in the fat bit! I can sense it's quite big and heavy. Guess it can only be a Cat.