Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Default Chain split link

Just a quick question on the split links. Do you run the spring clip facing inwards or outwards?

Which is the most prone to getting flicked off . Had a mate lose his going backwards down a rut.

Maybe a rivet link is best after all?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Outward, closed end of the link going the direction of the chain, meaning the open end of the clip facing the rear.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Outward, closed end of the link going the direction of the chain, meaning the open end of the clip facing the rear.
If the link is above the swing arm, or facing the front if below swing arm. You want the closed end to be moving in the same direction as the tyre when going forwards.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
If the link is above the swing arm, or facing the front if below swing arm. You want the closed end to be moving in the same direction as the tyre when going forwards.
Jakobi,

Yep I know about the direction of travel of the chain thing, but as you face the chain side of the bike to you put the spring clip on the split link facing you, or on the back of the chain? Which is best protected from being damaged?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I have been told the clip should be on the tire side of the chain so that if the masterlink does come loose it will not cause damage to the cases or clutch. Never tried to put it on that side but guess it would involve some choice language!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I have been told the clip should be on the tire side of the chain so that if the masterlink does come loose it will not cause damage to the cases or clutch. Never tried to put it on that side but guess it would involve some choice language!
good point about the damage it could possibaly do to the cases when it would come loose.
but do concider that infliction with the side of a wider tire, the clip could allso get ripped off by it... just a tought.
i allways put it on the side face outwards.
rivet is most reliable, that's a fact.

hannes.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

I've always had mine on the outside. Had never even considered putting it inside. 1) Its sometimes painful enough getting it on properly even with good access. and 2) Its easy to visually inspect the clip for wear and damage from the outside.

I also carry a few spare links etc in the event that they are needed. If you feel the likely hood of the clip coming loose is too great then best bet is to rivet.