Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Default Devils Backbone area (Entiat)

Spent a few days with the kid checking out a new riding area. We camped at a nice forest servie campground 28 miles up the Entiat River. The trail is accessed right from camp with close to 200 miles single track available after Late July (some was still closed for us). Saw a cougar, mule deer, and all other types of wildlife. A pretty nice area all in all. I only have a few pics as it's hard to take them when you're riding and we didn't stop often. If vertigo doesn't bother you then you may like it here. Hope you all like the pics.

heading towards Angle Peak on trl 1445 (my son Wes)

we parked our bikes at the top of this steep downhill and walked it not knowing if we should continue (Devils Ridge)

looking back at the corner that leads up to were we parked our bikes

Looking back at Devils Ridge. It was amazing up here!

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)

Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM

nice pics ..
anyone know what kind of treadway material was used in that uphill shot pic?? we could use some of that stuff in my area!!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Thanks for the memories. I was on that exact trail with the interlock paving stones many years ago with Lyle duranso as trail boss.Sure looks like the burn did lots of damage.Dont know if its true but I was told at that time that certain guest workers from south of the border along with copters were used to build the trails with the interlocks.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:43 AM

Where is that riding area? Got any info on it?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 AM

I know the "too busy riding to take pics" story all too well, but I do appreciate those who share their experiences via pics. Looks like a great spot.

Quote:
anyone know what kind of treadway material was used in that uphill shot pic?? we could use some of that stuff in my area!!
Those look like some kinda concrete "pervious paving" blocks. A search on pervious or porous paving turns up tons of stuff. No idea on cost, but this stuff looks very interesting.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 AM

Speedy, this area is between Lake Chelan and Lake Wenatchee.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreation/orv/

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 PM

For Speedy, and anyone else interested, the NMA website has some info on the area, which is actually four "different" systems that intersect: Devils Backbone, Entiat, Chickamin, and Mad River. For brief descriptions and location maps, look here
http://www.nmaoffroad.org/orvtrail.htm#anchor5181074
These are great trails, their worst feature is generally underuse/overgrowth. The area has frequent lightning caused fires due to it's location, and the different burn zones are kind of fascinating to ride through; it's an education in forest regrowth as you ride. Highly reccommended.
Washington State used to put out a great trail map package with full topo maps that had the trails graded by difficulty (kind of relative to the areas on that particular map). I might be persuaded to scan those maps and post them, but not for another week or so; I'm thrashing full time to get bikes ready for vacation next week to the currently-on-fire Gifford Pinchot National Forest (assuming the fires don't get too much worse than they are right now).

Tim H
Old 08-02-2009, 06:52 PM

Some views from the top of Duncan in The Entiat

Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks Jostby. I live in Cashmere and have the Devil's Gulch, Mission Ridge and Tronson Ridge trails right behind me. I've road the Mad Lake and Two Lakes trails and a bunch of others in this area. I guess they opened up the Mad Lake trails two weeks ago, so some good riding is to be had now. So did U start your Devil's Backbone ride just north of Fox Creek Campground? How technical is the ride? Thanks, Bob.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybars View Post
So did U start your Devil's Backbone ride just north of Fox Creek Campground? How technical is the ride? Thanks, Bob.
We camped at Lake Cr campground, just up from Fox Cr. You could ride out of the cg to access either the Mad River side or the Devils Backbone side. We initially took the Lake Cr trail (1443) to 1445 going to Angle Peak. I'm going to admit here that it ended up scaring the bejesus out of us and we ended up turning around (see the picture where my kid is on the bike on the bike) The picture makes it look pretty tame. We ended up going back to 1443 Lake Cr Trail and went to the trailhead were it intersects with 1448 and 1265 (25 mile Cr Trail). 1265 was what we were after but it was still closed for rebuild from 2 years ago (??) so we took 1448 to Angle Peak and the Devils Backbone. Here's a trail map.. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/ma...chelan-map.pdf We only did about 1/2 of Devils Backbone as by that point we were running low on fuel and it was our last day there. Lake Cr Trail and 1448 are pretty easy. Devils Backbone has a pucker factor but the trail was in real good shape. We'll never drop off of Tyee Ridge towards Mad river again though. Steep uphill/downhill (depending on which way you're going) so many switchbacks I couldn't keep count and all on extremely steep scree type slopes. Also the Forest Service has signs saying that the quit maintaning the Lower Mad River Trail. It was pretty obvious they quit maintaining the lower 1/2 of both trails 1413 and 1416 also.

Here's an interesting observation about our fuel usage. I am well over 300lbs geared up and the kid is about 230. We both ride 250's, his a EC, mine the XC. I had the RBD head mod done and have LTR jetting and power valve cover. His is stock.
The first day out he ran out of gas (right at 40 miles) while I still had not hit reserve. I know riding style has a lot to do with this but with my extra weight (and throttle needed to haul it around) I was very surprised. Everyone always said the head mod made a big differance on mileage.

'00 XC250 (mine)
'04 EC250 (the kids)