Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Default Just about out ideas...

I've had my gas gas for about 5 months and haven't been able to ride it properly yet...

The big end went bang in May, and I've replaced this, new piston, new crank and bearing set, rebuilt it and it runs like a dog.

So I've taken carbs off and cleaned them, same problem. Replaced the supressor cap and plug, same.

So now I'm looking at the stator for timing, I've read every post on here about it, but I can't see how I can change the timing?

I think is a 2k-3 by all the descriptions?

The bike starts fine, revs out fine, and sounds brilliant, until I put it in gear, it dips a little, which clears with a little reving, but then riding away it dives on revs, almost stalling, then splutters like its starving for fuel, which it isn't. As the carb is full. I think it might be firing a little too late?

Help...

@Ktmandy

Old 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM

What jetting / needle are you running?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure of the size, I have only cleaned them out, it did run before it went bang...

Just looking more at the stator, is it me or can they burn out? It looks very black and possibly burned out?

Having just put it back together, I now have no spark at all...

@Ktmandy
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM

could be worth checking the coil it maybe buggered
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM

It doesn't look happy, how do I test it?

@Ktmandy
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMAndy View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure of the size, I have only cleaned them out, it did run before it went bang...

Just looking more at the stator, is it me or can they burn out? It looks very black and possibly burned out?

Having just put it back together, I now have no spark at all...
That doesnt look good , does it smell of burned wires?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMAndy View Post
It doesn't look happy, how do I test it?
that i don't know, what i would do is look at a wiring diagram and see what wire coming out of the stator does what, with a side light bulb and some wire test to see is there is a spark, then check all the loom clean and has no brakes and WD the connectors. clean the earth on the coil and WD the bolts and connectors.
work your way up the loom testing it at the connectors for a spark, if you have another 2 stroke or a mate who has one try and swap the coil if it fits.
it does sound like feul but you saying the spark has gone changes it, i had my reeds brake away and it ran like a twat.
with out being able to see the bike its hard to say what it is, worst case i think there is a stator on ebay. buy it if its not that sell it on.

best of luck mate

grant
Old 06-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Hmm, one of them is quite crispy Chris, didn't notice a smell though. When I do get this thing running, there won't be one thing I haven't dismantled and rebuilt on tho bike. I've had a huge learning experience... But I'd quite like a riding experience some time soon!

@Ktmandy
Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM

Cheers for that grant, I'll give that a whizz, there is definitely some carbon deposit on 3 of the coils, I'll clean it up like you said with some WD. Is there a specific way the stator fly wheel goes on? I see the line at about the 4pm position on the coil, but can't see if that would specifically line up with anything on the fly wheel???

The reeds looked fine when I rebuilt the engine, but I'm learning not to dis-count anything. How was yours running when they broke?

I'm still thinking spark though, with the plug out and on the engine case, kicking it over gives me nothing, even with all the lights out in the garage...

@Ktmandy
Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

There is a bolt with an oval shaped washer at 2:00 on the stator plate, right below the pickup. I believe the bolt hole is off center to allow two different timing points. You might try flipping it (if possible) to try another timing setting. Pull the bolt and washer, loosen the plate retaining bolts (it looks like one is missing at 10:00 on the plate), reinstall the washer/bolt 180* different, secure the stator plate, and have another go at it.

There is also a thread somewhere here, fairly recent, that discusses testing the coil resistance. Have a look and see if it applies to your stator. And I believe you do have a 2k3 stator, as it is much larger than my 2k2.