Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 AM

Default Stator output?

Does anyone rewind stators on the older GGs? I have an 01 250 xc, and want to get as much juice as possible to run some good lights for some fast night riding. Maybe even add a small battery if needed?

I was at the 07 Last Man Standing, and Knight and Taddy both were on 2 strokes with HIDs that were so bright they looked like UFOs coming through the woods. How'd their mechanics make that happen?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Try these guys....
http://www.rickystator.com/

HIDs require a lot less amps to run. You may not need a rewired stator.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM

You also need DC power to run HID's.

I needed a new stator anyway on my '99, so I stuck a Trail Tech DC converted KTM stator into my bike with their large capacitor. I think the stator is rated at around 100 watts, but it makes good power down at low rpm too. Some stators out there have a lot higher watt rating, but you can't run HID's very well without a bigger battery because they only make that at high rpm, unless you are night riding in the desert.

A friend of mine has a HID set up on a YZ300 with a high rpm 200 watt stator and a decent size lithium battery. When we are riding technical trails at night, his HID's will start to flicker after a few minutes of slow riding due to low voltage. I do envy the battery set-up though, its nice to still have lights when you stall the motor.

Oh, and having a really nice helmet light, especially if its hooked up to the bike's power, REALLY helps when night riding.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM

I'd look into LEDs for all but high speed night riding. I had a pair of Visionx LEDs on my Hypermotard and the headlight did not even matter. They are totally bulletproof, very high quality, and run on a wide DC voltage range. 10W DC power consumption for a 50W equilavent output per light. You could probably run a pair on a DC converted 2K-2 system with a big cap or a small battery. A 2K-3 could run more than you could fit or afford. The integrated HIDs are somewhat unreliable, go to ADVRider and read the reviews, lots of problems.

Jgas, if you have an older XC, you likely have a 2K-2 ignition.