Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 AM

Default 450 as an adventure bike?

I'm after a bit of practical advice on how difficult it would be to turn an ec450 into an adventure bike. This all needs to be done to a (small) budget.

the main issues I can see are:
How long could the bike go without a service? Is 3K miles totally unrealistic for an older bike? - I'm not as concerned with scheduled servicing as what the bike actually needs - oil, valve clearances etc.

Is there a cush drive available? If not I think chain wear would be too high..

Fuel tank - it needs at least 20l preferable 30l do ascerbis do anything that will fit? Does the 450 have the same tank in frame arrangement as my 300ec which i guess would make getting tanks exterrmely difficult..

Any other comments are gratefully recieved I'm thinking of replacing my Aprilia Pegaso with something more capable off road and the GG appeals because the I love the engine and the fuel injection should mean it will cope with altitude well without resorting to fitting CV carbs which seem to rob power/throttle response.

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM

You should get used to think 450 as an adventure bike because in 2012 ALL bikes in dakar will be 450 cc . And the GG's new Desert is 450 and it's like an adventure bike.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Safari gas tanks makes a 14L for it says 2008 and up. I'm thinking it should fit an 07 as well as that's when they went to the new sub frame setup. Pretty sure that's as big as you will find and yes similar frame setup. Even their SM models don't appear to use a cush drive so probably not unlees you adapt something. Not sure I would worry about that though.

The GG Desert Rally bike has a 17L tank I believe. IMO they should bring this bike into the US (it is by special order I guess) and get it 50 state legal. KTM has dropped the ball in not offering it's 690 in an Adventure model and seems in no hurry to produce one. Strange as the 640 Adventure was very popular and sold out pretty quickly when the bikes were available.

Last edited by Skidad; 01-16-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
I'm after a bit of practical advice on how difficult it would be to turn an ec450 into an adventure bike. This all needs to be done to a (small) budget.

the main issues I can see are:
How long could the bike go without a service? Is 3K miles totally unrealistic for an older bike? not a problem i crossed the middle of australia though the great simpson dessert 1100 dune in a row and then down south did 2800kms on one oil change- I'm not as concerned with scheduled servicing as what the bike actually needs - oil, valve clearances etc.

Is there a cush drive available? If not I think chain wear would be too high.. No i dont beleive that would be the case unless you gunned it on the tar as you would on the dirt, then maybe the gearbox mite be a problem longer term

Fuel tank - it needs at least 20l preferable 30l do ascerbis do anything that will fit? Does the 450 have the same tank in frame arrangement as my 300ec NO 300 tank is different the 2 st tanks fit lower inbetween the sub frame, calrke 11.5ltrs or safari 15ltrs is only whats avaialbe unless you can get the gasgas dessert set up which i guess would make getting tanks exterrmely difficult..

Any other comments are gratefully recieved I'm thinking of replacing my Aprilia Pegaso with something more capable off road and the GG appeals because the I love the engine and the fuel injection should mean it will cope with altitude well without resorting to fitting CV carbs which seem to rob power/throttle response.
The alloy sub frame may crack if you load up the back of the bike with a rack and other gear, over time.

I would think apart from a large tank the bike is ready for adventure riding, i would go one up on the front sprocket, that about it.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 AM

I've got a mint 05 450 fse im gonna set up to be a legitimate dual sport. Right now planning on the clarke 2.8 gallon tank, michelin t-63 tires, a garmin zumo and some nice wolfman soft luggage.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_TN_GG View Post
I've got a mint 05 450 fse im gonna set up to be a legitimate dual sport. Right now planning on the clarke 2.8 gallon tank, michelin t-63 tires, a garmin zumo and some nice wolfman soft luggage.
Sounds nice to me. Personally I think this may be the best use for these big bikes. Yeah I know you could race them but I think there are better choices in that catagory. As a dual sport, with a larger tank, the FI with batteryless starting and kicker backup I like it. Give me a 515 and it will still be allot lighter than my old KTM 625 SXC I had for dual sporting. And they can be had for cheap money.

What is the oil capacity for the engine on these bikes?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM

i was thinking around 2qt. but I'm at work right now and away from my bike's paperwork. For my day/weekend usage that should be more than adequate.

I'll def be carrying a small set of jumper cables though lol!

I've got a 300 for the woods but I really want to explore alot of the trails and fireroads around east tn and wnc so I'm hoping the 450 is up for it!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 PM

I was seriously thinking about getting the desert 450,, if it could be ordered in 515,, the bigger tank and odds and ends,, including taller top gear,, would make it one nice ds.. As for more battery power,, how bout those little lightweight lithiums,, two in parallel should give you a decent reserve capacity and about 500 CCA? or the theory at least..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM

And I run my 625 sxc down all the trails I took my 250ec,, just isnt as perty and when I get her going at full trail pace the weight of the bike makes me miss corners.. gets ugly,,,, the 515/450 is way lighter/smaller than the LC4 ktm's add an oil cooler and you should be set...
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 01-20-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
And I run my 625 sxc down all the trails I took my 250ec,, just isnt as perty and when I get her going at full trail pace the weight of the bike makes me miss corners.. gets ugly,,,, the 515/450 is way lighter/smaller than the LC4 ktm's add an oil cooler and you should be set...
Yeah I agree. "Almost" everything I take the 2 stroke I could take my 625 SXC "if" I really wanted to. Geared down it's a quite competent trail bike but at 300lbs dry with no guards etc. when it starts to go down you just let it go.

The GG 450/515 would be a nice dual sport bike and hopefully they do get the proper EPA stuff straighened out. Many states you could probably pull it off now with some work (lots of guys buy the KTM XCW 450/530 and do this vs. buying the legal EXC version) but it's a good selling point now to have it actually legal from the factory. Husky's are street legal and even the Husabergs might be 50 state legal. Not sure on that one and the tank is a HUGE issue on the Berg not to mention no backup kicker and it wont run without a good battery. The GG will I read.

Cruiser...the desert 450 is a special order bike only. I'll bet if you really wanted a 515 motor they could do it. That's a sick bike huh?