Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Lighting up things with my 2003 MC250

EDIT - MC died before I ever finished this. There was no "yellow wire" (power) I have ever found from the ignition. At some point when I take the motor apart I will post here if the results are relevant.

This thread is dedicated to the pursuit of functional lighting to get my 2003 MC250 road legal in NH (where I own property and pay taxes). It was Gas Gas's attempt at a motocross bike, so it has no lights from the factory.

Road Legality in NH-
-Headlight
-Tail and Brake Light
-Horn
-Mirror

What I know-
-Bike has a 2k2 Ignition
-I have a set of 2003 EC handle bar controls (complete)
-I am aware I won't be lighting up the sky, just looking for legality here
-GoFasters told me that the wiring harness was different from the EC and has all the wiring components for lighting removed
-Not much else

Also have this thanks to this awesome site-

Any tips? Anyone have any pics of their MC wiring harnesses or other items that would be helpful to me? Any suggestions for budget healdlights?

I was thinking this might be a good start-
http://www.electrosport.com/products...detail-330.php

Taillight (lowest possible power use)-
http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-29-30/index.html

Headlight (figure 35W is max I should use)-
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...FamilyId=24175

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

Last edited by SideshowBob; 09-22-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM

After more phone discussion and research, this seems like the easiest kit-
http://www.electrosport.com/products...etail-1859.php

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I kind of let you down on the wiring on my bike. I took a look and could not really tell you anything better than the diagram above. Most of my wires are all wrapped and hard to trace.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
I kind of let you down on the wiring on my bike. I took a look and could not really tell you anything better than the diagram above. Most of my wires are all wrapped and hard to trace.
Yeah you did

Yeah, it woulda be a huge PITA to unwrap things just to find out what Mark at GoFasters confirmed- my bike has none of the fancy wiring stuff your bike has.

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure all of the MC's had lighting coils, maybe someone can confirm? My '00 came set up like a MC, no handlebar controls for lighting and only a minimal wiring harness. It has the 2K2 ignition with 35 watt lighting coil. It came new with headlamp and tail lamp only. You need to find if you have the yellow power wires. If you do then you should have power available, just not very much. But it will give you the lights to be street legal. Probably wouldn't want to drive much at night though. I'm pretty sure here in WA state to technically be street legal the bike needs to have a battery so the lights can be on when the engine is off (parking lights), and I'm not sure if we even have to have signal lamps during daytime use. But don't forget the mirror and horn! remember your output voltage is ac so you may need special bulbs or a dc rectifier(?) depending on which way you go.
I'm lucky that I bought the bike new, my title doesn't state "off-road only" so I don't even need an inspection to get a plate. Up in the woods the Forest Service only want to see a license plate (vs ORV tags) if your on fire roads but they don't care if the bike is technically street legal, at least one of them told me that. He said he was there to enforce licensing, not mirror, horn, and lighting issues. He said that is for the state patrol or sheriff if they were to show up out there. If I ever do license it I don't think I would drive it in town. Good luck!

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a tech article that I did for when I wired my old 2001 XC250. This bike had a 2K-2 ignition with minimal wiring.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/headlight___horn.html

Like Jostby mentioned, you first need to find out if the 2K-2 ignition has a lighting coil attached to it. Pull off the left side cover and take a peek inside. Or look in the wiring loom for a yellow wire (hot). Between the tech article, wiring diagrams, and the guys here, you will get the bike street-worthy.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
Here is a tech article that I did for when I wired my old 2001 XC250. This bike had a 2K-2 ignition with minimal wiring.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/headlight___horn.html

Like Jostby mentioned, you first need to find out if the 2K-2 ignition has a lighting coil attached to it. Pull off the left side cover and take a peek inside. Or look in the wiring loom for a yellow wire (hot). Between the tech article, wiring diagrams, and the guys here, you will get the bike street-worthy.

Yep, hopefully gonna find time to look for the yellow wire today. Cool write up.

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM

No easily visible yellow wire

All I see is the black coated wire bundle going behind the plate behind the coil. I'll have to pull it further apart when I have more time to see what's back there.

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
No easily visible yellow wire

All I see is the black coated wire bundle going behind the plate behind the coil. I'll have to pull it further apart when I have more time to see what's back there.
So what's my next step? Pull off the flywheel weight and then the coil and look for thew yellow wire?

Little help?

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Josh,

Can you take a pic with the flywheel removed? It would be good to see if there is a lighting coil on your 2k-2.

Here is an example of the 2k-2 without lighting coil. Note: this is a Husky CR125 but it will show you the differences.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3067