Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 AM

Default Skid Plate material???

Hi,

I am looking for a Skid Plate for my GG EC300.
There are 3 different materials options:

Carbon
Aluminiun
Plastic

I just want to know your experiences with the different materials and which one you would recomment and why.

Thank you
Regards
Mathias

Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

have only used the hyde (plastic) skid plate on my old kx250 and it worked really well. If you are on a 2t you can also get it with exhaust protection, but i personally do not put much faith in the exhaust protection part, and it also collects mud.

The hyde skid plate works well to protect the bike and is light and tough. They are flexible so do not affect the handling and if they become loose they do not rattle!

from what i have read you need to use special rubber mounts on the aluminium skid plates to prevent them affecting th e handling of the bike
Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

ok just seen that it is a 300. My personal recommendation is to get the hyde skid plate and then get a p3 or e-line carbon fibre exhaust guard.

I will be recieving my 300 soon and it includes the hyde skid and exhaust guard from the dealer, so i will be able to let you know how it works, but my plan is to change it as soon as i get a chance to what i have recommended

PS see you are in germany, you can contact my buddy sergio at www.swazicowboyz.com (based in germany) he is looking at importing the hyde (www.hydedevelopments.co.za) guards so maybe you can suggest that he uses you to advertise the product? ;-)
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM

i have a hyde, and have no problems with it other than mud, which is easily remedied with foam or wire mesh. and i think it does fine for the pipe. it is good for protecting your cases, but doesnt prevent dents to your frame. id weighs next to nothing, comes off and on easy once your familiar, and is very reasonable on cost. i dont like the front bracket, as it didnt fit my frame(i had to bend it to shape, no big deal) and ive heard that the threads that the mounting bolts break off. im planing to make a different front bracket when i get time, but this one works for now. i like mine, also, the carbon and plastic ones absorb noise, so they are quieter. although i would imagine that foam under a metal one would do the same.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 PM

Thanks guys for your help!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:50 PM

i had a stainless steel one made as i kept breaking the alloy one on my last bike this one has has an even harder time and yet hardly a scratch on it a little heavier than alloy but a lot tougher