Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:33 PM

Default Rear Wheel Axle

I have a heck of a time getting the rear wheel axle out. It's like it is wedged in there, and it takes a lot more force to get it out than it should. I've resorted to a long punch and hammer, and I've pried it out little at a time with claw hammer until it is about 4 inches or so out then it pulls out easily.

The best thing is probably the long punch and hammer, but I'm worried about messing up the end of the axle. It's been like this since new.

Is there a trick that I'm missing?

2011 250 Race

Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM

Something is very wrong. It should be an easy one handed pull if greased. Is it bent? Burred? Roll it on a known flat surface. Check fit in wheel off the bike.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 AM

Interesting. I'll check it off the bike like you suggested when I get a chance.

The wheel rolls smoothly, and there is no other signs of things being awry.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 AM

I had the same thing on mine. I replaced the wheel bearings in it right before that race we ran at LEOR. it was the same way. We pried on it from one end and used a punch on the other. it was all rusted in there. Cleaned it all up real good with a wire wheel and greased it up real good. Now it comes out like GMP said. There are 3 bearings inside that hub too B.T.W.

Note: I bought the bike used from a gentleman on the Gulf Coast of AL. Everything is rusted on it from all the salt water blowing in I guess.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM

That kind of sucks. My bearings feel tight and its been this way since the first time I took the wheel off. My bearings shouldn't have been rusted considering I bought the bike new.

BTW, I always put Belray waterproof grease on the axle before reinstalling.

Thanks for the input John. Are you going to Roselawn, IN this weekend for the enduro?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM

I had purchased a used bike, that I had similar problems. One of the bearings was installed ever-so-slightly crooked. It doesn't take much to make the axle not want to come out.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM

I'll check that out too. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

I find it can bind up a bit on the RHS (brake side) due to some dirt and grit around the spacers on that side. Only ever an issue if its been coated in mud and left to sit for weeks on end. Even then it doesnt seize in, just needs a tap to start it coming out. When clean and lubed its an easy slide in and out one hand job. Got some good suggestions here. I'd try things like feeding the axle through the hub off the bike. It should slide easy. If it does then try and start identifying the part which causes the issues, before investigating why.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 PM

I wish it was something as simple as dirt, but it's been like this since new and it is always difficult to get it out.

Honestly, I though it was the nature of the GG beast since it's been that way since new. It must be a manufacturers defect, but I'm sure it's too late to get it taken care of under warranty.

I'll take the wheel off when I get a chance and check it out closer.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 PM

hate to post this but...
my first gasser had this problem, it was an old second, or third hand old bike...
one day the "wheel bearings" went, not long after they had been replaced...
the bearing seating surface was damaged and the bearing fell out easily...
the bike had a bent rear axel, right in the middle, but with no obvious signs.. maybe from the factory, maybe someone used it for a crowbar, i dont know.. but it wrecked the hub... check your axel for straightness...