Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
I know of two racers who both had front tire slash cuts during a race ... instant flat tire ... race over. only bullet proof set up is bibs. Although my bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes haven't let me down yet ...
+1 on the ultra heavy duty tubes. Man, those things are about 3mm thick! I rode all last season with no issues and I'm not planning to replace them any time soon (may yet regret that decision). I guess it really does depend on your terrain, and pace.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:43 AM

I think it also depends on your style, some guys just ride over everything, some pick smoother lines. I have a friend like this, gets constant front flats, but he rides like he's driving a bulldozer. There are more rocks than dirt on my trails and I have only slashed a sidewall once, on a Michelin X-11 trials which is a very weak tire. Try a Tubliss at less than 10 PSI, you do not feel the rim like you think you would and traction is great. Very confidence inspiring.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 PM

I've been racing the past 5 months with the Tubliss system. I've gotten one front flat tire, but it didn't affect my result much. I rode 40+ km on it with no issues. The tubliss system isn't as robust as bibs, but it does last longer (after a season bibs are toast) and is better for regular riding, IMHO. Changing a bib is dead easy and only takes 5 minutes so I won't get into that debate.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Site Sponsor

just changed a rear with slime in a tubliss system. it is not messy like i thought.. there was very little slime on the tubliss system, it was all stuck to the inside of the old tire. works great.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Makes sense, cent force slings all the slime to the outside away from the insert.

Next time I'm going to use slime on the bead as a sealing aid. That should eliminate some of those slow initial leaks. Maybe make use of previously mounted tires doable too.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:20 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I have used slime/tubliss successfully on old tires and as it is not a difficult job changing tires with tubliss it makes the old tires more attractive, especially if you have a knobbyknife
Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 PM

I am just about to throw in the towel on Tubliss. I have had many flats and recently, a high speed crash as a result of sidewall nicks/slashes. We have a lot of sharp rocks where we race and my confidence is shaken.

I'd like to move to mousses, but can't get the damn rear on. Front was a snap.

Maybe till I can get some advice on how to get the rear on, I'll run a mousse front and a TUbliss rear. At least if I flat the rear, it's not an instant loss of steering/crash scenario.

5th gear wide highside changes the way you feel about predicatblilty/reliabilty. Mousses are looking real good despite any "pain" involved in install. If the pros can do it in 2 minutes, it's just another skill to be learned.....
Old 07-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Site Sponsor

have you seen the new mousse 'sections' for lack of a better term? my local shop has some - they are kinda like mousse meets tireballs. seems like they'd be easier to install and pressure can be regulated.

www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 07-06-2011, 03:51 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhack View Post
I am just about to throw in the towel on Tubliss. I have had many flats and recently, a high speed crash as a result of sidewall nicks/slashes. We have a lot of sharp rocks where we race and my confidence is shaken.

I'd like to move to mousses, but can't get the damn rear on. Front was a snap.

Maybe till I can get some advice on how to get the rear on, I'll run a mousse front and a TUbliss rear. At least if I flat the rear, it's not an instant loss of steering/crash scenario.

5th gear wide highside changes the way you feel about predicatblilty/reliabilty. Mousses are looking real good despite any "pain" involved in install. If the pros can do it in 2 minutes, it's just another skill to be learned.....
Have you contacted the tubliss guys about this? I also ride rocks a hell of a lot and have never had a slashed sidewall, but i also go for a stronger sidewall tire like mitas or motoz. Granted i ride at about 0.8bar, but feel the handling/feel benefits of tubliss far outweigh the odd puncture, and you can still ride at about 90% with a flat on a tubliss.

It will be interesting to hear if you can feel a difference in handling once you switch to mousses
Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
have you seen the new mousse 'sections' for lack of a better term? my local shop has some - they are kinda like mousse meets tireballs. seems like they'd be easier to install and pressure can be regulated.
i looked 'em up. these:
http://www.flattiredefender.com/moto...uctfitment.htm

www.stainlesscycle.com