Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 09-07-2014, 03:15 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default 2014 300 replica

I made the mistake of demo riding a 2014 EC300.I felt guilty but it was a one time thing that meant nothing. I love my 2010 EC300 but it just isn't the same anymore. Well it all got messy & it escalated to a factory replica moving in.
Report- Put rad guards on. Easier bike to work on, more standardised fixtures. Set sag, rolled bars forward, loktited a few bits that tend to come loose.I left the fuel tap on & it leaked a litre of gas on the floor. Pulled the carb & checked fuel stopper thing, reduced the float level 1mm,noted the jetting- main172, pilot 35,needle NIEF clip2,AS 2.5.Temp 16-25,sealevel to 400m.
Airbox- the bottom looks sealed apart from a rubber teat at the bottom. I can just see it filling up with water at the first river crossing?
First ride was pine forest twin & single track, damp loam & mud with some stumps & roots. This things turns! seriously- look at the corner, tip into corner, go round corner. Done. It sits in ruts with no drama, you start looking for them because it is so fun.
I nearly bought a Husqvarna 300 because I was unsure of the Reiger shock. It behaved really well today, very smooth. It kicked out on some fast ledge/rock hits but it is seriously under sprung (100 kg + gear. yeah, yeah bring on the pie eater comments).The 48mm zokes surprised me, better than my correct sprung & valved sachs. Every time they move there was a grinding, clicking noise. Looks like the clutch cable join at the top catches on the plastic face plate. Noticed the throttle cable rubs on a metal bracket at the top as well & is wearing already. Quite annoying.
Jetting is pretty good. Very clean & responsive off the bottom, burbly in the middle but once the power valve opens it just buggers off wherever it is pointing!
Next will be getting the correct springs & watch Nathan & Jacobi's 2014 jetting thread. Will get a few hours on first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 70.jpg (136.7 KB, 106 views)

Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Good report GG.

Sounds very similar to my impressions on the 2013 vs my 2010 too. I still love the old bike, but she doesn't have the same sharp feeling of the new one.

After working on a few ktm/blue ktms lately while the 2013+ is easier to work on then the 2010, its still not quite on par with the other brands. It rides better though
Old 09-07-2014, 04:27 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Yeah, still niggly stuff like cable routing that rubs on things or gets caught up, captured nuts that move, stuff doesn't line up .The KTM's definitely have the build & finish well thought out & executed.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:03 AM

Good report and well done on the new bike.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC