Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Chest/Body Protection

Hey Guys,

I was wondering how many people ride with some form of chest/body protection. I have a neighbor who rides motocross who tells me im nuts for not wearing a chest protector when I ride.

I just got back into riding this year after taking about 5 years off and I only ride on trails and occasionally local track for fun. I figured since roost is not an issue and i am not racing I really don't need one. How many of you guys are wearing these things for trail rides? Also can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks,
Sam

Old 07-10-2008, 05:43 PM

I ride in the woods. There are trees in the woods. Trees have branches. Branches tend to be pointy. So are handlebars, footpegs, etc.

Chest protectors offer a lot more than just roost protection. Puncture protection is just as handy.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Always, always, always wear one! I had a throttle go wide open on a 98 ktm 300 back a few years ago,, shattered 4 ribs and broke 2, that was with one on,, they said without I would have easily punctured a lung or worse.. Too many things can go wrong and too many things out in the woods to get hit with.. Just ask GMP about his leg.. You just never know what can or will happen.. And I find trail riding worse than racing,, you tend to go faster, have more fun and take more chances, try more/harder things than you would racing.. like sure I can clear that big log,, six tries later you do it..
I always have the cp, elbow guards, knee guards, my boots, gloves helmet and I'm even thinking about adding on one of those neck protectors.. Years ago I didn't wear them and in a little bail got a rib broke by the handlebar nailing me in the chest,, like a 5 mph fall in a mud hole.. wouldn't even have a scratch if I was wearing one,, ok,, off the soapbox,,
Steve

Oh,, and I like the fox airframe as the back pivots,, flexes just right,, but you might need to use a hairdryer to change the shape in the front,, the edge rubbed my nipples bad until I turned the edge out..
Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 PM

I have a Fox too, it has held up good but is due for replacement. The plastic is stiffer than most for good protection. You should see the scars and gouges on mine after a few years of use.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I have a Fox too, it has held up good but is due for replacement. The plastic is stiffer than most for good protection. You should see the scars and gouges on mine after a few years of use.
No thanks...I'll take your word. LOL

I have two different kinds that I can use. One is the hard plastic Fox chest protector and the other is a 661 Pressure Suit. I really like the 661. I bought it here http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...and-Women.html
Old 07-11-2008, 07:49 AM

That thing looks like it would shred your skin and be very uncomfortable, not to mention hot as hell.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 AM

Nope it feels good. You can wear it with or without a jersey. You could always wear it over under armour. It breaths much better than you think.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:35 AM

Yes wear one or you will regret it! You could consider an armoured jacket if it's for trail riding but you need a suit like the 6-1-1 when a jacket is too hot (racing/track use) I don't think many jackets have chest protection though?
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 07-14-2008, 12:29 PM

About 5 years ago I had a rock that was about 2"X3" hit my in the chest and land in my lap. I'm so glad I was wearing a chest protector.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:18 PM

You really need to wear some kind of protector IMO. Just to risky with out one.

Normally I wear an Acerbis Koerta body armor suit and for the most part as long as your moving it doesn't get to hot. This past weekend I attended a Shane Watt's riding school (Not 1 Gas Gas by the way ) and I new it was going to be hot and there would be plenty of standing around as Shane explained things. I borrowed a friends Acerbis Zoom external chest protector with attached elbow guards (another thing I won't ride without) which worked out really well. I was still hot but in my armor it would have been far worse. I need one of each type.

So get something for sure and hope this never happens to you. 2 broken shoulders, broken ribs and bruised lung. Mike Allessi.

http://www.break.com/index/motocross...ple-times.html

Skidad