Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Clutch Friction Point

The friction point on my son's 2011 XC250 Six Days clutch seems to be varying. Sometimes it will start engaging with the lever near the end of it's travel. Other times it will start grabbing with the lever barely off the handlebar.

We've only run one tank of fuel through it so far and it's never been apart.

Anybody have an idea on what's going on here?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Here is a tip from the gasgas trials website :

"NOTE.... Jim Snell advises that the most common cause of clutch drag on the Gas Gas (90%) is when the screw on the clutch lever is turned in too far, when the customer assumes that less free-play equals less drag... quite the opposite, when the piston is not allowed to come all the way back to its stop. If the piston is not returning to the outer stop 'c' clip, the stroke is less, causing less fluid movement to the slave piston as well as blocking the bleed hole from the reservoir to the piston and no additional fluid can be drawn into the system."

My guess is that the variance is due to bleed hole being blocked - you need to back the adjuster off a touch.

If you have clutch drag, it can be minimized by using either amsoil 0w40 motorcycle oil or Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40. If it were me, I would use the rotella syn 5w40....

jeff
Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Second that, and if it still drags it may need bleeding. Another note about the lever position Jeff mentioned is that if there is no freeplay and the hole in the master is blocked, it will be impossible to backbleed. My brother found this out after much frustration.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM

I read a thread on Trials Central where a guy made his clutch really slick working by scraping the excess glue from between the grooves on the friction plates. Apparently the glue would cause occasional sticking and make the clutch unpredictable at times. My clutch grabs every once in a while especially when cold, I figured I would do the mod the next time I had it apart. Currently it doesn't bother me enough to mess with it.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Default lever

Check the lever adjusters. Mine wasn't/isn't real tight I can't say Ive seen it change with use or vibration but its not out of the question. KTMs at times like to do that, the reach adjuster spins on its own affecting freeplay and throw. I check mine on the gasser all the time because it turns so easily...

cheers

Rick

2011 Beta 400 RR (sorry )
2010 GAS GAS XC 300
2007 KTM 200 XC
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 AM

I've always just ran mine full out (with loctite) against the "C" clip on my bikes. Unless you have real tiny hands I can't see needing to move the lever in.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. We'll try them out but it may be a while before we can test. It's just too frickin' cold here right now! Although I love winter riding, my comfort zone is at about 20 degrees F.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Default lever

I actually run mine close to halfway. I have small hands I guess and like clutch to disengage with finger right around 90 degree bend. Just walked out to mine and remembered it wouldn't even sit in gear really with it all the way out. It needs a bit of throw or push to open clutch. I adjust mine from time to time to try things or because of hand fatigue so I haven't locktited it in or anything.

My suggestion was just a quick easy thing to look at and may not be the answer....

cheers,

Rick

2011 Beta 400 RR (sorry )
2010 GAS GAS XC 300
2007 KTM 200 XC
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Backed off the adjuster to give it a little free play. Problem solved! Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Just the thread I was looking for, as mine started with the same symptoms as mcnut's. I only have about 1 hour on my bike so far and noticed that with the lever pulled against my fingers (I use one finger to pull the lever) the clutch was still engaged. I had to lift my hand and pull it all the way to the bar to get it totally disengage. When I'd first start the bike this would not be the case, but within the 1st minute of riding this would start. I even bled the system thinking that was the problem. I kept running my adjuster in until there was only the tiniest bit of free play in it and no fix'y.