Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Bike won't start - suggestions please.

A bit of history.

The bike had a crank seal go and was rebuilt over xmas. The first race this year the bike did not want to start in the garage.

Tried the usual fresh fuel, plugs cleaned the bottom of the carb out. Eventually got it to run. Went to the race and was very reluctant to start, spent 10mins kicking it in the paddock and after several new plugs it ran. For the start of the race with the bike warm it startted 1st or 2nd kick, rode great back to how I remember it - carburated nicely. Then I stall it or it stalled and I could not retart it after about 1/2 to 3/4 hour of running. After 1/2 an hour trying to restart it no luck so I DNF'd

Now back home still no luck, took the carb off to clean it there was some muck in the bottom of the bowl. Re-assembled and all I can get is an occasional misfire, backfire or burning in the exhaust or something, very strange. With the choke on I get nothing but without the choke I get these misfires or whatever they are.

I've now cleaned the carb 3x and gone through loads of plugs, tried fresh fuel again which made no difference.

Looked in the stator cover and everything looks OK - It's almost like the timing was out or something but there's nothing to move in there I don't think.

Could something have gone wrong after it's been rebuilt, maybe lasted OK for that 1/2 hour in the race then give out?

Or maybe because it's been stood for a while there's a problem?

There was a bit of green dry looking residue on some of the parts in teh float bowl of the carb I assume from the morris 2 stroke mix I'd been using which I think was green.

I changed the pilot for a richer one but that's made no difference either.

The plugs are coming out wet after many attempt at starting so at least some fuel is getting through.

Any suggestions?

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Site Sponsor

check your reeds.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 PM

After that, check your ground on your coil and also check your plug wire.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 PM

Try a new spark plug cap. Have you pulled the plug out and tested to see if you have good spark?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 AM

Plug has been pulled and tested quite a few times - always a spark present when the plug is dry.

Also I'm getting the misfire or whatever occasionally so I think it's igniting something.

When installing the plug on the bike after 10 kicks or so the plug is then wet. But that's probably normal?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 AM

re the reeds I did a compression test and got 150psi after about 4-5 kicks, That seems about the same as I've alwats got.

If the reeds were damaged would it show up with low compression?

I've inspected them from the carb side and they look good - they were replaced just before the engine rebuild so have seen very little action, I can pull them and check the engine side if it's still worth doing?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Check you air filter, and the passage way to the carb. Maybe it's blocked.

Here is an odd ball suggestion but rotate your kickstarter forward to get a little more throw and rotation to start the motor.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM

Filter looks OK but for easy access to the carb the rear airbox is not connected to the carb so it can pull in fresh air easily.

I don't think any different styles of kicking it will help - something's wrong with it but it's good to check the basics.

I got a new plug cap and plug fited them and now I have no spark???

Tried the plug cap and lead off my trials bike - still no spark.

I measured the coil ground to blue/white input wire and got about 0.1ohm (seems about right)

Measured the HT output to ground - open connection should it not have some resistance there is the circuit basically 2 coils?
Measured ground to HT output on my trials bike and that was open circuit as well but the coil and ECU are different they are all integrated on the trials bike.

Will try resistances for the pick up and stator next..
Old 04-23-2011, 09:37 AM

When you were kicking it(with spark) did you hold the throttle wide open.

You also said you cleaned the carb.

Did you clean the pilot jet and stick a wire in the hole to clean out stuff. When I read back through, it seems like your carb was gunked up, you cleaned it and it was gunked up again once it ran. You also mentioned that the choke had no effect when on which leads me to believe you still have stuff in your carb.

I would go back to cleaning the carb thoroughly. Maybe head to the auto parts store and buy a can of carb cleaner that is made to dip the whole carb into the can.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 AM

I would alternate kicking with throttle closed and throttle open to try and get it to start and clear out the plug from wet fuel.

I cleaned the pilot with an airgun, I don't run wire through or anything for fear of wearing the hole size but you can look through it once cleaned and see it's clear.

Yeah second time I pulled the carb there was some gunk in there now the bottom of the float bowl is clean everytime I pull it the only thing that isn't perfect is the green residue on some parts of teh carb but as far as I know all the fuel passageways are clear. - also the plug's getting wet but maybe there's fuel getting through but not the right mixture to ignite?

Now i've got this wierd situation where I HAD a spark and now don't have one anymore.

Re-checked teh coil seems like the secondary winding resistance is supposed to be 6-16kohm and mine measured 13kohm so OK.

Also checked all the suggestions in the manual - pickup, exitor (whatever that is) and stator windings - all OK. - still no spark though.