Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:31 AM

Default GG Submarine (or Jetski!)

Took my bike to our holiday spot next to be beach this last weekend, and to cut a long story short, my mate got it completely submerged by a freak wave (i.e wave went over the at seat height!)

Engine was running when it got submerged in sea water, so it was completely wet (i.e about 1 Lire of water came out of the pipe). We got her going again after about 1 hour of hard work which included a new air fiter / oil change / clean / clean / clean / oil change again / etc.

Bike runs 100% with no issues - amazingly (or maybe not, it is a GG )

Question: Should I do something else in terms of cleaning / flushing? Tranny oil was milky white after first change, but all good now. Worried salt has gotten in somewhere I did not think about.

Thanks for any advise.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:40 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Anything with copper in it will start to rot.Start with wiring and connectors etc.
Don't let the freak near the waves again.
Good luck.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 PM

also run something through the flywheel to get all of the water off of that, so that it doesnt corrode.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM

I havn't seen events like these end well. Consider the fact that sand almost certainly made its way into the motor with the seawater. Restarting it may have been a bad idea.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
also run something through the flywheel to get all of the water off of that, so that it doesnt corrode.
Cheers - good point - took it off and all looked clean etc. Gave it a good wash just to be sure.

Think (hoping) it will all be good. Changed oil again, and it is super clean.

Will probably know for sure within 1 to 2 months

Anyway, the bike runs like a dream for now.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM

How did things look in the intake beyond the filter? I'd feel better if that was clean of grit, but I'd also worry about sand as well since water did get pulled into the oil. Not fun, but I'd probably want to tear it down if it were me. I'd also use some compressed air and contact cleaner on all the electrical as suggested.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom View Post
How did things look in the intake beyond the filter? I'd feel better if that was clean of grit, but I'd also worry about sand as well since water did get pulled into the oil. Not fun, but I'd probably want to tear it down if it were me. I'd also use some compressed air and contact cleaner on all the electrical as suggested.
There was no sand beyond the airfilter - it looked clean. Also changed the oil before we got it running again, but it still turned white. No sand came out with any of the oil changes. Point taken on the electrical connections - will do that this evening. Anyway, wife has given green light to buy a new GG if this one starts playing up, so maybe something good will come from all of this!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtienneNZ View Post
Anyway, wife has given green light to buy a new GG if this one starts playing up, so maybe something good will come from all of this!
Quick, throw some more sand in there while she's not looking. Hey honey look it blew up!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Did you let Noobi ride it? Or being Easter were we going for the' ride on water'.Now I think about it 'J.C.' could have done with a GasGas.It would have hauled that cross up the hill piece of piss for starters.Where the apostles a bike club? Did Judus ride an orange bike?
I do wonder about the long term engine wear on internal bearings,a bit of water on a wheel bearing can screw it pretty quick,maybe time to move it on.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom View Post
Quick, throw some more sand in there while she's not looking. Hey honey look it blew up!
no kidding... i will tell you i sunk my 300 on the second ride.. up to the gas cap. not in salt water, but in the canadian river here.. alot of murky red water. i was sick.. did what every one else has said in here and a buddy told me to change the oil, get it started that day, do a couple of heat cycles with oil changes in between...
has given me zero problems over the next 3 or so years..