Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

View Poll Results: Would you buy a new bike direct from the manufacturer?
Yes 23 67.65%
No 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
That's where the demo rides come in, or the 'manufacturer bucks' we've all tried our riding buddies' bike or 'swapped for a loop', I give test rides on my Gasser for nothing now, if I could get $100-$200 if a guy bought a new unit that would be a bonus for me.
Fred, we actually offer a "Holeshot Program" out of our shop. If you buy a new bike and then your referral leads to a new sale (presumably to someone you let ride your bike or told about your customer experience) within six months, you get $100 for parts, service, or accessories. The program isn't capped either - if six of your friends buy bikes, you get six bills!

Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Fred, we actually offer a "Holeshot Program" out of our shop. If you buy a new bike and then your referral leads to a new sale (presumably to someone you let ride your bike or told about your customer experience) within six months, you get $100 for parts, service, or accessories. The program isn't capped either - if six of your friends buy bikes, you get six bills!
Good idea !
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Steve,
Didn't you sell a Beta to Glenn and this past weekend to a guy from east TN who traded in a GG to you? It seems that most of your customers are not local to you? Do you ship them or do they drive to your place?
Clay
Shipped from 2006 miles away. Thing is with Steve is that I started out ordering small items from him. And was surprised when he hand delivered to me in AZ. Luckily he visits AZ every winter for job related purposes so I had the opportunity to meet him. Even had the chances to ride and break bread with him. Had him to my house for dinner, met my family. Would I have just ordered a bike from him if I had never got to know him? Chances are maybe not. (no offense) But we grew a trust between us and with Steve it was easy to do. He is very upfront and honest with everything he does. So when it came time to get a new bike my choice of dealers was easy. I knew him and I trusted him. Some, not all dealers take a personal interest in there customers. Those are the dealers I look for and promote. Even though he sells Beta now I don't hold that against him......LOL.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM

Getting back to the "direct from manufacturer" part of it. Wouldn't the manufacturer really being putting the screwing to the brands dealers if they decide to sell direct? I'm all for small business and supporting the dealers.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM

My experience, FWIW. I am going to post some questions. I don't know the answers, if I did I would start a dirt scooter business.

Do dealers get rich selling units? Do they break even selling units and parts make up for it? How much does a dealer have to profit to be profitable from the sales of the unit? ( I can tell you businesses in some industries can operate well on 2-3% margin and some out there can be closer to 75% and not make it (Try selling nuts and bolts))

Do dealers benefit having to floorplan bikes? Who benefits from dealers floor planning bikes? (I would say the manufacturer and the customer) Does the caliber of dealership matter in the answer to that? Does "If you build it, they will come" apply to a dealership that is built anywhere? (downtown Indianapolis or Heckla SD)

Why wouldn't a direct unit sales relationship work with dealers only carrying the parts? Does this answer depend on the size or the cash flow of the dealer? (I would say certainly) How do you choose what company to purchase from when choosing an internet site to purchase products from?

How many of you would buy everything you buy from a local dealer if they were in your town? 20 miles away? 50 miles away? Does it really bother you to purchase from an online source? Do they have to be knowledgeable in the bike you are buying parts?

Does buying a bike make you loyal to that dealer? Is it the customer service they follow up with that makes you loyal? Would you feel the same loyalty if you purchased only parts as you would if you purchased a bike from a direct source, bike shipped to dealer and assembled (for a price) or to your home?

These are the questions I think are interesting.

Sometimes I have a warped sense of reality.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM

I've purchased 4 KTMs from a dealer that's 70 miles away. Excellent dealer, fair prices, very good service department. All of this actually means something to me. They have no problem pulling a part off a bike if they don't have it.

That being said I purchased my GasGas on line from one of the dealers here because there is no local support. If there was a local dealer with fair prices, good parts and service department I most assuredly would support them and our local economy.

I'm thinking about a '14 Gasser or Beta and I'll have to go back to buying from out of State. My only difference with no local dealers is to have a bit more extensive common parts kit.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEV View Post
Getting back to the "direct from manufacturer" part of it. Wouldn't the manufacturer really being putting the screwing to the brands dealers if they decide to sell direct? I'm all for small business and supporting the dealers.
Lets turn that around. What if a dealer starts carrying another brand? Isn't he "putting the screwing" to the original distributor? A dealer is capable of selling a certain number of motorcycles. If he adds a second brand he is not doubling his sales. He is diluting his business between to brands and the original brand gets "screwed". That happens constantly but the OEM/distributor gets no sympathy.
I'm glad Fred did this poll because it has started me thinking about a combined dealer/distributor model with Sherco (not with GG at all, ok?). It would be a sort of "No haggle" pricing thing. The dealer and I would have a slimmer margin but customers would pay the same and that price would be lower than the original retail. Keep in mind that the Sherco 2T is not a cheap motorcycle in the first place. It simply can't be priced the same as the orange brand since it has a two stage ignition controlled by an ECU. It could be under this model. Keep in mind that these are retail to retail comparisons. The orange bike could still be discounted more if the orange dealer wanted to discount his bike substantially. My dilemma is that the Sherco has more features so it CAN'T be as low as the orange brand.
What do you guys think?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Administrator

When I bought a gasgas in '01 - they didn't configure the bike the way I wanted it here in the U.S. so I bought from the distributor in Canada. Don Clarke, rest his soul - loved talking to him on the phone. Gruff and said things as he saw them...

Right after that - to support the local gasgas dealer in Vancouver, WA (no longer a dealer) - I went in and spent around $500 in parts/tires from them. They said they stocked alot of gasgas parts when I spoke with them about buying a bike so I wanted to keep them "healthy and happy".

Unfortunately, I walked in and said I want to get a couple of spares... Throttle cable, levers, etc. They had *nothing*.... That was my last visit to their shop...

My only point is that local dealers are great - but they need to stock a few essentials in order to keep you on the trail or in the race when you don't have time to wait for a shipment of parts - otherwise, they aren't living up to "their part of the bargain" and I might as well do everything mail order...

jeff
Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 PM

I'll give this a shot, at least to my knowledge & experience-

Quote:
Originally Posted by djroggen View Post
My experience, FWIW. I am going to post some questions. I don't know the answers, if I did I would start a dirt scooter business.

Do dealers get rich selling units? No, at least that is the impression I get from visiting with them Do they break even selling units and parts make up for it? Again I would say this is a fair estimation of the situation.How much does a dealer have to profit to be profitable from the sales of the unit? ( I can tell you businesses in some industries can operate well on 2-3% margin and some out there can be closer to 75% and not make it (Try selling nuts and bolts))

Do dealers benefit having to floorplan bikes? The dealer pays a fee to floorplan bikes, thus the concern over 'leftover' bikes, they've already spent several months in interest at that pointWho benefits from dealers floor planning bikes? (I would say the manufacturer and the customer)That would be correct Does the caliber of dealership matter in the answer to that? Does "If you build it, they will come" apply to a dealership that is built anywhere? Service, on the sales & repair side drive success, all dealers sell the same bike, the only difference is in the level of service, knowledge, etc. Steve seems to have the recipe correct from what I have seen(downtown Indianapolis or Heckla SD)

Why wouldn't a direct unit sales relationship work with dealers only carrying the parts? Possibly, there is typically more margin on the parts sideDoes this answer depend on the size or the cash flow of the dealer? (I would say certainly) How do you choose what company to purchase from when choosing an internet site to purchase products from?

How many of you would buy everything you buy from a local dealer if they were in your town? 20 miles away? 50 miles away? Does it really bother you to purchase from an online source? Do they have to be knowledgeable in the bike you are buying parts?

Does buying a bike make you loyal to that dealer? Is it the customer service they follow up with that makes you loyal? Would you feel the same loyalty if you purchased only parts as you would if you purchased a bike from a direct source, bike shipped to dealer and assembled (for a price) or to your home?

These are the questions I think are interesting.

Sometimes I have a warped sense of reality.
I skipped the rest of them because that is the limit to my general knowledge. I am a small parts/service/repair shop. I work with every body and every brand & model. I understand the line at the internet counter, I also have customers who drive to middle of nowhere (me), right past the big fancy dealers guys because they deal with the the guy who is doing the work not a representative of the company. I'm personally invested in the success/failure of my business. I've also learned over the years that people will get drawn in by the fancy building, signs & commercials but only good service & proper repair will keep them there. I've also learned that people are willing to pay a fair price for a fair product. We only have one GG dealer in Arkansas but there are many GG owners so I stock GG parts, the general stuff as I don't stock a rod, crank, cases etc. But if you need gaskets or a piston, wheel bearings, brake pads, or filter- I probably have it but the only dealer in the state probably doesn't This also applies to other brands as well, my customers are amazed at times because they come in and ask for something AND I HAVE IT....the dealers don't
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 AM

Would have to say buy from the dealer. I buy everything I can from my local dealer Matto Cycle. When I had problems I went to Bud he handled it. Although Clay is a stand up guy and will deal with you direct, not all importers will make themselves as availible to help you out. I have broken a lot of stuff this year back to back races and Matto's allways had what I needed or was able to get it in time for the next race. If you develope a relationship with the shop they will take care of you.