Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Switch from 50:1 to 60:1?

Hoping to get some input. I read through the sticky as well as several threads on premix ratios and the spooge issue some have experienced with the Q-Stealth pipe (which I am).

Let me preface this with being relatively new to the jetting stuff. It took me a while to get it sorted on my KTM 300 and I haven't started messing with it on the GG yet.

The reason I haven't messed with the jetting is the throttle response is spot on for me. However, it does have a lot of drool coming from the Q-Stealth. I read that many have had issues with the Q and blame the pipe, but I'm wondering if changing my ratio might alleviate this.

I'm running Amsoil Interceptor at 50:1; ran the same thing on my 300 and had some drool issues early on (also running the Q), but it stopped.

I know there are lots of opinions on premix ratios, but I'd like to know if there are any potential hazards from changing. The majority of my riding is tight and technical - not much high speed. I rev the engine out, but it also spends a fair amount of time lugging.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM

I'll be watching the replies with interest.

My 250 runs faultlessly and strong at all RPM's, and ive always run it at 50:1 as per told to me by the previous owner and the original owner.
I also have a Q-stealth silencer and suffer with some spooge. Ive tried 2 different oils.....neither was really any different to the other regarding spooge.
My riding is alos mostly lugging - but with the occasional 'on-pipe' blast.

Instinct tells me going to 60:1 isnt the magic answer long-term..........
Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
Hoping to get some input. I read through the sticky as well as several threads on premix ratios and the spooge issue some have experienced with the Q-Stealth pipe (which I am).

Let me preface this with being relatively new to the jetting stuff. It took me a while to get it sorted on my KTM 300 and I haven't started messing with it on the GG yet.

The reason I haven't messed with the jetting is the throttle response is spot on for me. However, it does have a lot of drool coming from the Q-Stealth. I read that many have had issues with the Q and blame the pipe, but I'm wondering if changing my ratio might alleviate this.

I'm running Amsoil Interceptor at 50:1; ran the same thing on my 300 and had some drool issues early on (also running the Q), but it stopped.

I know there are lots of opinions on premix ratios, but I'd like to know if there are any potential hazards from changing. The majority of my riding is tight and technical - not much high speed. I rev the engine out, but it also spends a fair amount of time lugging.

Thanks
The way I hear it, the Q-Stealth is a spooge makin' machine. If I haven't learned anything else...Don't base your jetting preference on tailpipe spooge. If your throttle response is spot on, and you've got a clean plug(tan, light brown...whatever). Leave well enough alone
Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
The way I hear it, the Q-Stealth is a spooge makin' machine. If I haven't learned anything else...Don't base your jetting preference on tailpipe spooge. If your throttle response is spot on, and you've got a clean plug(tan, light brown...whatever). Leave well enough alone
This is the money!

In saying that Nato has informed me he gets no spooge from his 2012 300, but he rides pretty hard too. I had a dribbe that ran from the end of the plug back maybe 10-15cms in a small line after 4 hours of single track work and not spending much time at all on the pipe.

I think when the jetting is just right the spooge will be minimal, however in saying that go with the above. Jet for response. Also remember, all it takes is to be rich in one particular throttle opening and then spending some time there to start it happening.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 PM

The last time I pulled my plug, I could tell it was running a little rich - black and not tan (but boy do I love a good black ' n tan...lol).

I have my reservations about the Q, but after having initial issues with it on my 300, the pipe was great.

I'm tempted to throw a leaner pilot jet in and see if that does anything; given my typical riding conditions and the condition of the plug when I pulled it - what do you think?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 PM

The oil you use makes a different, oils with high ash such as Motul 800R and others tend to spooge more than say oils with less ash.

I have used Motul 800 for many years, I firmly believe that it is a great product for it's intended purpose-RACING with high RPM, heavy loads and high heat, mixed at the motorcycles MFR's recommended ratio. I have always had spooge using this oil, either trail riding or racing, it dosn't matter, it spooges. I would also say that my jetting is a little on the "fat" side, but, that is the way I like it. I'd rather be rich, than lean and burn a piston and cylinder....fame away if you want too...will not hurt my feelings one bit.

Now, I've used Motul 710 and it burns much,much cleaner with almost no spooge, same jetting, same ratio same everything. That being said, others on this board have also said the same thing between the 800 and 710. There is something different in the make up of the oil, if it is less ash, so be it, it will and does burn cleaner with less spooge.

The TCIIQ is a french fry oil trap, just like it's little sister TCII. I rebuild mine several times a year due to the "drip" It's a dirty job, no doudt. We just had this conversation this past Saturday about my buddies Berg TE250, it had a snail trail down the entire canister...he called his the french fry trap...

I would not change the ratio to try and make the spooge go away.

I'd keep the ratio at what ever the owners manual states.

If your really serious about making the "Q" drip go away, rejet, rejet and rejet again. Or, play with different oils and find one that works the best for YOU!

I am in the process of trying some of Rock Oil 2 stroke injector oil, which is much like the 710, but I was told, burns a little cleaner. I have a brand new TCII mounted up with fresh packing and we'll see.

That's my .02 for what it is worth...good, bad or ugly....
Good Luck and Happy Trails!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
The last time I pulled my plug, I could tell it was running a little rich - black and not tan (but boy do I love a good black ' n tan...lol).
Remember going from 50:1 to 60:1 makes the jetting richer, not leaner.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
Remember going from 50:1 to 60:1 makes the jetting richer, not leaner.
Gah...and this is where I always get confused...lol.

Let me see if I understand your statement correctly; reducing the amount of oil in the fuel actually means there's more fuel going through the carb to combust; and that's what makes it richer...right?

It's a memory stretch, but I think what resolved the spooge issue from the Q on my 300 was using a richer pilot jet (went from 35 to 38) and a leaner needle (N3CH #3 - feedback from KTMTalk). That combination eliminated the spooge and kept the throttle response spot on.

Given my previous success using Amsoil, I'd prefer to keep that a constant.

So, how to go about reducing the spooge? I don't mind a little, but there's a significant drool stream down the bottom of the pipe after every ride. One other thought, I also have the a/s at 1.75 turns out.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Let me see if I understand your statement correctly; reducing the amount of oil in the fuel actually means there's more fuel going through the carb to combust; and that's what makes it richer...right?
Correct.

I know you said your jetting performs well, but I would recommend pulling the carb and checking whats there and comparing to what others have in the jetting thread. There is usually a mention of spooge or not in those posts.
Might be as simple as a smaller pilot, or a leaner needle or something. Costs nothing to check, and you have to pull the current jetting to change it anyway.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:

More oil = richer fuel/oil mix
and
More oil = leaner fuel/air mix

This site does a good job of explaining it:

http://www.dirtriders.info/mixture.html