Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Default Broke my Big Toe!!! front Brakes went out..

So my 2010 ec 250 and I were doing the practice laps here in Dallas, pinned 3rd in the rocks toward a rocky 90 degree turn grabbed the front and mushy nothing... Back brakes locked and I slide turned high ended broke toe!! HOW I broke my my big toe my boots I still do not know.. I did get a few free air miles and a helmet rocky landing!

Before I left the house I saw a small Oil puddle ( very small about a dime ) on my garage floor. first thing was darn fork Seals.. Ok its not bad Ill do those when I get home.. WRONG that was brake fluid leaking out of the bottom Bolt of my resevoir !!! Now pit testing I didn't really notice as it was just felt smushy and I figured I needed to heat up the brakes.. OK, here is the first 30 minutes huge down hills scared to death practice lap ever... SO I get back and start looking at the brakes and see I have a leak from that round bubble bolt area and I have no idea why.. Then it hits my I had moved my brake lever as FAR forward and down as possible so I could stand up more.. Apparently I had but that bolt in a bind and it leaked so I have a few questions...

1. Is there a better bolt or something?? I can not believe a small bit of contact created a bind that caused a leak!! However thats exactly what happened..

2. My Rotors also had grease on them of some sort and Honestly The only thing I spray my bike with is WD40 on everything after a bath.. I have yet to get my brakes back to a suitable stopping power and I have cleaned that rotor 10 times.. Could the pads have soaked something up? The lever feels firm, but no stoppie just a slow slowdown..

3. Is there a better gas cap lid??? I sheared mine apart in the wreck

4. I never realized how much I used both brakes till one was gone!!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Pads will soak anything you give them, it's a matter of evaporation. With WD-40 I would assume that the oil would stay in the pads, therefore you need new pads. The rotor is steel, it's not going to absorb much oil. I expect the greasy feeling you found is the WD-40 being reapplied to the rotors as you heat up the brakes (when they work...).

Regarding the banjo bolt, is it possible that the bolt loosened up when you rotated the master, therefore causing the leak? For good measure I would replace the banjo bolt and crush washers, just for insurance.

Sorry to hear about your wreck and toe, glad that you didn't get a chopper or flashy box ride.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Lucky its just a toe, and hope it heals up well.

I'd start with fresh pads both ends. Fresh fluids both ends. Get yourself a 100cc syrings and some clear 5-6mm tubing. Another smaller syringe to draw the used fluid back out of the master cylinders. Then reverse bleed them well. Prior to doing this I'd also pull the banjo bolt and replace the brass/copper crush washer. Make sure it seals well and torque it up.

As to why it initially leaked is anyones guess. I'd say unrelated to you moving the lever forward though. Probably more likely that it has vibed itself undone a bit over time.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanks Guys!!

Any place I can get a replacement fuel cap?? Preferably not plastic?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Someone makes a billet one but I remember them costing about 4 times more than a fuel cap should. Just get onto your local dealer and get a replacement cap. I have a brand new in the wrapper genuine gg fuel cap sitting in my spares kit.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Ouch! I broke my left big toe, twice and the right one once, within the last 7 months. The only real upside to a broken toe...Once your foot swells a bit, it sorta goes numb, so you can keep riding. It does hurt like h*#l until that happens. I no longer let my feet stray, from the pegs.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Someone makes a billet one but I remember them costing about 4 times more than a fuel cap should. Just get onto your local dealer and get a replacement cap. I have a brand new in the wrapper genuine gg fuel cap sitting in my spares kit.
S3 makes the gas cap, I have one, not sure it seals fully either!
2004 Snowhawk 600H.O.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '11EC300 View Post
S3 makes the gas cap, I have one, not sure it seals fully either!
if it doesn't fully seal, it won't be because of the gas cap but rather of the plastic neck of the fueltank being a litlle bent over from tightning to hard.
don't know if anyone has ever tried to reinforce those flimsy necks on the fueltank?