Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 AM

Default P3 carbon pipe guard

P3 (Pirie Performance Products) will soon have a carbon fibre pipe guard for the OEM 07-09 Gas Gas pipes (the FMF Gnarly pipe they already have one for) This is the pipe that has the GG stamped on it.

I am supplying them with my OEM GG pipe and he will build the mold for the guards. I am also supplying them with an E-Line guard for comparison purposes.

P3 if you aren't familiar with them used to build the E-Line carbon fiber products before E-Line farmed it out to China I believe. HANDS DOWN the P3 stuff is superior to the E-Line stuff now. Usually thicker and with more coverage as well. I'll keep you posted when it's ready and if there are any other protective parts you would like made for the Gassers let me know and I'll talk to them about it.

http://pirieperfprod.com/

Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 AM

They look really good. I would like to get one for my Gnarly and the Doma.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM

I'm interested, but not holding my breathe. In my experience (with an eline guard from 03 or 04), carbon fiber is not durable enough to be used as a pipe guard or skid plate. It also offers nothing to protect a pipe from getting kinked.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
I'm interested, but not holding my breathe. In my experience (with an eline guard from 03 or 04), carbon fiber is not durable enough to be used as a pipe guard or skid plate. It also offers nothing to protect a pipe from getting kinked.
Hey nothing is perfect. I look at it this way, it's another option for the Gas Gas bikes and that's a good thing. The P3 stuff is very very good but nothing will totally protect the pipe. The Hyde combo may be the best, especially for kinks but I've had very good luck with an aluminum skid plate and carbon fiber guard here in VERY rocky New England on my KTM. I also like to remove my skid plate for washing and in that regard the Hyde is a total nightmare.

When it's done I'll take some pics comparing the P3 to the E-Line.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Its too bad Les doesn't make the CF guards anymore, his were far better than the older ELine. They weren't as shiny but there was a lot more carbon fiber in the correct configuration. Mine took a beating. I've had several Eline guards, and while decent when new, the resin breaks down over time from the beating and the carbon cloth flexes in on a hit, denting the pipe. You remove a seemingly servicable pipe guard to find a dented pipe. They also sometimes make damage worse by kinking the header, and trap mud and water that rusts the pipe if not removed and cleaned. But, I'd still choose one over nothing.

The Hyde is not perfect but its the closest. Once I'm healed enough to lift the bike off the stand I'll start re-engineering the mounts to make life eaiser. In the meantime, if you use a few pieces of foam, it stays clean enough to not require removal.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Glen, how is the Hyde guard. I am using an E-line cf and i hate it. The pipe gets dents under the guard and now it cracked. Junk!!!!!!
The Hyde pipe protector/skid plate combo looks a little goofy but may be the ticket. Has any one run this combo????
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 AM

cv I agree with you 100%.

I like the Hyde, its been on my bike for all of '07 but I only rode a couple times in '08 due to injury. Theres a pic in my gallery of the guard with a years worth of scars, not bad. The mounts are a little goofy, but may have been improved since I got mine. I'm redesigning my own mounts now. Some guys have dinged a frame rail through the guard, but I never did and I hit a lot of rocks. I have some delrin pipe I plan to cut and snap over the frame sections for added protection anyway. Get some foam and stuff it in the front or the thing will collect a lot of mud. My pipe has remained unscathed, which is unbelievable if you saw where I ride. Its also nice if you case out on a huge log crossing, as the bike tends to slide off and not hang up.

Overall I would recommend it.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Default The Old LTR Guard and A Moose Aluminum Guard

Thanks to skidad for getting this going...but if it like the e-line, then it has limited value.........

I had good luck with Uncle Lesters CF Guard - took a beating and Doma mostly survived. E-line is a joke............anyway...............

I had the kinks worked out of the Doma and put an old school aluminum Moose guard onnit - They work OK from past experience, not the greatest, but Ok if there is some space and gaps between so the guard takes some some impact force first.

My buddy has a Hyde and swears by it, I think it is kinda ugly. But, hey if it works ..........
wife, 2 kids, the usual....
Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Trust me it WILL be better than the E-Line guard. Maybe not enough to make everyone happy but it should be good and a viable option. The Hyde thing is good for sure but I wish they would make just a pipe guard without the attached skidplate as an option. They never responed to my e-mail. (Hyde Developments in South Africa) http://www.hydedevelopments.co.za/index.html

I have supplied P3 with an E-Line guard as well as pictures of it on the bike for comparison purposes and I drew an outline on the pipe where I believe the new guard should cover. It should have allot more coverage than the E-Line does now (which is kind of a joke) and much more like the current P3 stuff for the GG Gnarly and KTM pipes. The slots for the hose clamp mounts are also really nicely done and make fitment easy. It should be a bit thicker also. They are working on it now.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Let us know when they have it ready. I'll place
the second order for one. If it will fit the 03 FMF
Gnarly pipe.
Thanks SkiDad
Jeff