Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Default Boingers to LTR Soon. Any advice?

I'm going to do a race next weekend, then it's time to get the forks and shock R&R-ed. 2005 DE250 (title says DE, decals say EC, wires from the stator exit from the 10 O'clock position) 12-ounce FWW. Ohlins in the rear. Zoke/Shivers in front.

I'm about 40 pounds heavier than the former owner (I'm 199 nekkid), so the stock springs need consideration. Also, given that Arizona single track consists of rocks, boulders, and stones, I'm looking forward to having Mr. LT make it ride like the 99 EC300 he did for a friend a while back. Like magic over rocks.

I'm a mid-pack C racer (that's counting the DNFs as well). Sometimes I can surprise myself with pace, but usually it's all I can do to keep in the thick of the C-riders. Our races are supposed to be technical single track with the aforementioned rocks (and long sand wash). But lately, with government agencies making it tough to get use permits for races, we have been seeing one, then two, and now three of our races each year incorporating portions of MX tracks (as a result, the single track is added almost as an afterthought). I don't do the long tables but the short ones are doable for me.

So, I've been advised that I'll get the best results from LT-Racing if I'm "honest" in describing my needs. Anything else I can offer up?

Those who have gone with LTR (or other suspension shops), how have your results been?

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited by AZRickD; 02-03-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Rick,

Just tell Les what kind of riding you do, (ie, rocks, whoops, sand, etc) what caliber of a rider you are (AA,A,B,C, etc) and let him work his magic. He is one of the best ouyt there IMO. I wish I would have known about him when I had my KTM & Track Bike. The 3 times I ahve used him the sag was spot on right out of the box. You might, just might have to turn your clickers to your liking but I doubt it.

You will really like his work!

Boomer
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 AM

I'm thinking your correct about different springs. At 190lbs with no gear I'm thinking you should go up at least 1 rate on both ends. Stock fronts are most likely .42 and the back 5.2. You might be better with .43 and 5.3 or 5.4 (yes there is an Ohlins 5.3 spring). Stock the suspension is set for about a 170lb rider so talk to Les about this issue for sure.

If you want to want to try something outside the box give Trail Trick a try in CA. He is the KTM god at the moment and really seems to have a handle on suspension setup and has spent years in Europe tuning factory suspension for various teams. I have a spare Sachs shock with him at this very moment to see if he could become a good alternative for GG suspension.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM

well here in Canada the guy to go to is http://www.ridersedgesuspension.com/index.html

I am having him do my suspenders because he races the same series I do so he knows what he is doing.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:29 PM

Skidad no offense here but I have seen trail tricks job and I was not impressed at all. A friend of mine here in Houston had his suspension done by him and the forks came back leaking. Plus I doubt he knows the Ohlins & Zookes like Les does.

Use who you want Rick but remember there are some folks that specialize just on the gasser brand so they do know their stuff.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:54 PM

Default LTR racing

Les has done the work on my DRZ250, KLX450, KDX200 and will soon get my Gas Gas 250EC Ohlins. All of these bikes are very different in their suspension mode needs and he hit them all spot on. In case you didn't know Les rode Gas Gas for quite a while so knows them well.
"Forever runnin against the wind"
Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 PM

I hope he knows "slow."
Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM

All I did was tell him what it did that I didn't like and how I wanted it to work and he nailed it. On my Drz250 it bottomed quite often. I ride Tahuya single track which is very tight and lots of whoops and roots. I told him I didn't want it to bottom but I also wanted it plush on the roots and rocks. On my KLX450 it was much to hard on the little stuff but OK if you jumped off a cliff. He made it much softer on the little stuff but you could still jump off a small cliff. I am 62 and learned to ride sitting down so like my suspension very plush. I stand up when going over whoops or jumping but like to sit when cornering. Tell him how you ride what it does that you don't like and what you want it to do or feel like. He will make it happen.
"Forever runnin against the wind"
Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Just be accurate about your use, honest about your ability and you will get what you want. Les is a great tuner and a great guy to deal with. The quality of work and service is the highest.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Let's say my current springs are, maybe, one step too soft. If I'm riding lower in the stroke, what kind of problems does that suggest?