Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:59 AM

Default Short riders!

Hi folk just wanted to air this out, I have a 2013 EC GG and can get feet to the ground ok as I have lowed it a ted, but loosing ground clearances , I am not looking on getting a ktm free ride but if GG or Beta had some think in the line up I would be the first to buy at my local dealer, the little ktm is heading in the right direction with it having very good ground clearances and still enough power to have some fun, I have rode a Honda CRF230 and can ride that faster around a wooded endure loop but that is an old bike now, So any think in the pipe line?????

Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 AM

Two very short guys i've ridden with both have AJP's - one looks like a cross between a trial and an enduro bike - they both seem to get on really well with them. Just an idea .......

2004 EC 200
Old 12-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adss View Post
Hi folk just wanted to air this out, I have a 2013 EC GG and can get feet to the ground ok as I have lowed it a ted, but loosing ground clearances , I am not looking on getting a ktm free ride but if GG or Beta had some think in the line up I would be the first to buy at my local dealer, the little ktm is heading in the right direction with it having very good ground clearances and still enough power to have some fun, I have rode a Honda CRF230 and can ride that faster around a wooded endure loop but that is an old bike now, So any think in the pipe line?????
Sherco has the X-ride, it is a full on 290cc trials motor in a trail bike frame
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanks for replies so far, had a go on the AJP and it rode and felt as it looks, very cheep, but saying that I have a mate who loves is but if I was going for that sought of thing a 2nd hand Honda CRF 230 with CCM brakes would be a better buy and the bike would hold its money, did not know Sherco did the X ride and I have had a look and they say its not a race bike but who says what you can or not race, I just wondered if GG or Beta had some think on the cards as I would like to stay with my local dealer as I get very good after sell, don't get me wrong as I love my 300, but a EC300 engine in the Freeride frame with some good brakes and just a kick start would make Gas Gas a killing as I am not the only short rider on the planet.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

How short is short? I'm 175cm so maybe average, but feel dwarf compared to the youth of today. I have a 2010 model and a 2013. The newer is significantly taller and noticably heavier to lift. The cost is always ground clearance though.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned

The Sherco race bikes have a little more ground clearance than the GG models and work well with a lowering link.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:56 AM

One of my friends, Dallas Shannon puts out a nice e-magazine for dirt bikers called 'Traction'. He does a pretty good job of it. He also did an article this month on tall and short riders.
He happens to be 6'8" and Rob Lang (of Langs Off-road) happens to be 5'2"
Between the two of them, they've seen both ends of the ergo issue. Some good pics of the two of them side by side in the article.
Front cover & links http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20952
It's free to subscribe- subscribe@tractionerag.ca

PS the Sherco x-ride is a pretty sweet bike. I can see one of those in my garage in the future..
Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default short riders

After finally riding my 12' 300, i felt pretty darn comfortable on my first ride. I am 5'5", so i have been dealing with "Tall" bikes my whole life. I think its a matter of experience as to how a person deals with seat height. Any how, coming from a kx450 i believe helped the transition to the gg. Once i further fine tune the set-up, the seat height will only be a bother in certain off camber situations. And its nice to have greater ground clearance, i still bashed the frame on my first ride.

As part of my job,i ride a variety of bikes and the only ones that really make me nervous are certain adventure bikes,loaded up- ktm,and bmw gs come to mind.

Thanks for the link to that e-mag- I will check it out.

And for those who have not seen this:
http://www.dirtrider.com/features/ho...rt+Rider+eNews

Last edited by adv rider; 12-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Agree that experience plays a big part. Its only when the momentum comes to a halt and the grounds some distance a way that the height becomes an issue. Even on the lower 2010, its not all that uncommon for me to still find myself tipping over in the wrong place, bailing out, and laying it over. Its all part of the experience.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:01 PM

If you live in eastern pa stop by n go for a ride with me . My X Ride rocks I have ridden with some great riders , they could beat me on a z50 but my X ride is more fun than any of my other bikes . Kind of reminds me of why I started to ride dirt bikes n still do at 55 !