Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM

Default AMA Enduro Rules?

Since I think I'm going to race a national enduro this year, I figured I better read up on the rules. So I did, and now I'm thoroughly confused. I thought they went to a similar style format to WEC/ISDE, but the website is very confusing.

Enduro format I'm used to:
We're given a time schedule with checkpoints and times, plus told the mileage inbetween. We're also told where there are special tests. So, a typical timesheet goes like this:

Get bike from impound - 9:00am
Start - 9:15am
T/C 1 - 9:47am/40km
T/C 2 - 10:30am/28km
T/C 3 - 11:50am/55km
etc
etc
Pre-finish - 3:40pm
Impound - 3:55pm

Throughout the course there would be usually 6 special tests. So during the day, you'd ride the trails at a quick but manageable pace to arrive at checkpoints hopefully 5-10 minutes early. You arrive early to grab gas, food, check the bike over, etc. Then roll through the time control on your minute and if the course organizers do things right, immediately go into a special test. The special test is where you actually race. Try to go as fast as possible. Your final score is all of the special test times plus any trail points from arriving early or late at a checkpoint. For time keeping, all that you need is a wrist watch. My route sheet is usually a piece of duct tape across the bar pad.

Is this in fact what the AMA National Enduro series is now? I see all this stuff about restarts, pauses and am a little confused.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Steve,

I beleive the classic AMA timekeeping rules should not apply to the nationals this year. Basically its the same but with all Start and Known Controls, so no hot points. You just ride the transit section to the next Start Control and wait for your minute. You ride the section which is usually a points taker, clock out at the end, and on to the next Start Control. Like a series of short hare scrambles. You really don't need any timekeeping equipment. For the local races its up to the club as to how they want to run the enduro. Personally I like the timekeepers, but the new format is eaiser for clubs to deal with and makes it possible for guys to try enduros without timekeping. This is especially true if the event is on a closed course (no license/insurance/plate required).
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM

So where's the actual race part take place then? Is the points taker section like a special test?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 PM

they take points in every section,letting you take it easy in the transfer stations,some guys race in the transfer sections,but its not needed,you will have plenty of time waiting around between sections,when we raced the PA national,I dropped about 10 mintutes a section and had about a 15 minute wait till my number came up again,they also use transponders,which score you when you pass through the readers,its a little different to get used to,like glenn has said its a short series of harescrambles and I prefer a timekeeper myself as well
Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 PM

Ugh, sounds like dumb rules. When you say you dropped 10 minutes a section, is that comparing your time to the top guy's time?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
When you say you dropped 10 minutes a section, is that comparing your time to the top guy's time?
10 minutes off the time (avg. speed(s)) set by the club for that section.

Last edited by Brian VT; 02-04-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
You really don't need any timekeeping equipment.
It's still nice to have to know where you're at sometimes. Maybe the bike needs a repair after a check out. You'd know how much time you have to get to the known. Or, in my case, I'd know when I've houred out and can switch from race pace to fun pace.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:39 AM

Agreed, and I still run everything at those events. Its just a way to try and grow the sport, and make do with less land. Unfortunately some of the classic aspects of it are lost in the process.

Some of the closed course runs are very tough though, as usually there are no roads to rest on and the transit sections are just eaiser trail.

Steve,

Now if you really want to get confused we can throw NETRA Brand-X rules into the discusssion.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Ugh, sounds like dumb rules. When you say you dropped 10 minutes a section, is that comparing your time to the top guy's time?
yes unless you are a top pro,you will be late to every checkout,if you arrive early,you simply wait till they flip your number and then ride through,yes I run all my stuff as well,just to see how easy I can ride between sections,some guys just go flat out and then have a long wait till they go out again,I would rather pace myself and save it for the sections that count
Old 02-04-2009, 11:48 AM

So they just make the speed average so fast that even the pros drop time and that's how they determine finishing position?

I think I like FIM rules better...and at least I understand BrandX rules. This new AMA format seems kinda dumb.