Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 AM

Default 04 EC300 Jetting Red Needle?

Got into the carburetor on my new to me 04 EC300 last night. Jetting specs I found were:

170 main
38 pilot
Needle with red top (JD? I guess?) with clip on 4th groove from top
Air screw 1.5 turns out
#7 slide

Bike will be run sea level to 1200 feet temps from 50-90 degrees F, lovely southern humidity. Bike was originally from Colorado, but previous owner claims he changed the jetting for lower elevation. Have not been able to ride the bike, waiting for shock rebuild.

My question is, is this jetting going to be anywhere close for my riding, given the understanding I will be tweaking it for temperature? Appreciate any opinions. Thank you.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:14 AM

If it's a JD needle, then this is what they recommend on the sheet when you buy the kit for your elevation (temps and humidity may vary from what i've tested this weekend but elevation wise you should be the same):
- 180 main recommended by JD for that altitude (haven't fiddled with it yet so I can't attest if it runs better or not with other size, used to have a 175 before the test)
- 40 pilot recommended by JD (witch is too rich after the test i've made, I can start the bike with no choke when dead cold, hard to keep a clean low rpm idle, used to have a 38 before the test)
- Blue needle #4 recommended by JD ( Red #4 is lean for that elevation -> bike runs very well, very snappy and sounds good once on the needle, but the spark plug is grayish, they say to use the Red #4 from 3000 feet to 6000. I've tried Blue #4 and #3 -> bike is still snappy but not so much as with the Red, pipe sounds very rich but no spooge whatsoever and spark plugs were looking pretty spot on. Haven't tested Red #5 tough, and I'm not sure if I should).

The test was done at:
- altitude: ~600 feet (200 meters)
- temp: ~73 Fahrenheit (23 Celsius)
- humidity: after a full night of rain, lots and lots of water and very very muddy, felt like we were in Vietnam (no offence anybody)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poelinca View Post
If it's a JD needle, then this is what they recommend on the sheet when you buy the kit for your elevation (temps and humidity may vary from what i've tested this weekend but elevation wise you should be the same):
- 180 main recommended by JD for that altitude (haven't fiddled with it yet so I can't attest if it runs better or not with other size, used to have a 175 before the test)
- 40 pilot recommended by JD (witch is too rich after the test i've made, I can start the bike with no choke when dead cold, hard to keep a clean low rpm idle, used to have a 38 before the test)
- Blue needle #4 recommended by JD ( Red #4 is lean for that elevation -> bike runs very well, very snappy and sounds good once on the needle, but the spark plug is grayish, they say to use the Red #4 from 3000 feet to 6000. I've tried Blue #4 and #3 -> bike is still snappy but not so much as with the Red, pipe sounds very rich but no spooge whatsoever and spark plugs were looking pretty spot on. Haven't tested Red #5 tough, and I'm not sure if I should).

The test was done at:
- altitude: ~600 feet (200 meters)
- temp: ~73 Fahrenheit (23 Celsius)
- humidity: after a full night of rain, lots and lots of water and very very muddy, felt like we were in Vietnam (no offence anybody)
Thank you!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Depends on which carb model too.is yours a twist top (pwk as1) or the later 2 screws on the lid(pwk as2/pwm)?
The later model jets a little leaner.
Have a trawl thru the jetting database,you may get a ballpark setting if you can find same carb,same needle in similar temp/altitude.ive no exp with the jd kit myself
Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
Depends on which carb model too.is yours a twist top (pwk as1) or the later 2 screws on the lid(pwk as2/pwm)?
The later model jets a little leaner.
Have a trawl thru the jetting database,you may get a ballpark setting if you can find same carb,same needle in similar temp/altitude.ive no exp with the jd kit myself
It's a twist top.