Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 AM

Default suggested maintenance for 300ec

Hi all,
Im hoping to have some cash to spend on my bike after Christmas.
The bike is a 2009 model, and ive had it two years. I reckon I do about 50hrs a year practicing on it and maybe 6 races a year of average 3hrs each. Race pace is slow and steady, bud I do get stuck and overheat on occasion.
It had a new piston and rings this time last year and clutch plates this summer, so apart from wheel bearings, chain & sprockets and break pads its not had much work.
Finally, ive on garage and not too much free time, of any work done would be at a local bike mechanic.
so my question is what should I get done now and what would I be looking at for about time? The items I was considering were:
  • Head stock bearings
  • swing arm bearings
  • piston and rings (again)
  • clean carb
  • re pack exhaust
Am I missing anything from the list that would be recommended?
Do the bearings normally take long?
I dont know if I can afford everything and I have to get some welding done the exhaust, should I priorities the engine work or the bearings?
Thanks in advance for helping a mechanical dope

Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

In my experience, there is normally no need to replace headstock bearings often. But you should grease them at regular intervals. When you do, you canalso inspect them. swing arm and rear end linkage bearings also need to be kept well greased. To do this, the swingarm must be removed from the frame and the linkage must be dismanteled. I replace bearings when I can feel that they are worn / have play.

If you run it 60- 70 hours a year, I guess a new piston every year is a good idea. In any case, a hour meter will be a good investment, just to know for sure.

You should consider changing the oil in both shock and forks. The forks you can do yourself, the shock is more difficult.

Brake and clutch fluids also needs to be renewed every now and then. This is again something you can do yourself.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 PM

great, thanks for the help.
In the end I got the exhaust holes fixed and blown out,
fork seals
swing arm bearings,
greased linkage
carb clean