Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Your findings are exactly what you will find with the NEDx needles. 4 stroke like power delivery with all the benefits of a 2 smoke I just watched your video and it brings back all the memories of my tim running the N3. That nice mid range snap as it comes onto the pipe. I do miss it for the fun factor, but the reality of it is that it wears me out.

Did you change your main jet when you swapped out the needle? Running the NEDx with a 178 main would be equivalent to running the N3Ex with a 182. IE you'll be too rich so the top will feel well underpowered/fluffy.

Looks like you had a top ride too! Thanks for the vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXIIfb2ZqE) and the feedback on the jetting.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Your findings are exactly what you will find with the NEDx needles. 4 stroke like power delivery with all the benefits of a 2 smoke I just watched your video and it brings back all the memories of my tim running the N3. That nice mid range snap as it comes onto the pipe. I do miss it for the fun factor, but the reality of it is that it wears me out.

Did you change your main jet when you swapped out the needle? Running the NEDx with a 178 main would be equivalent to running the N3Ex with a 182. IE you'll be too rich so the top will feel well underpowered/fluffy.

Looks like you had a top ride too! Thanks for the vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXIIfb2ZqE) and the feedback on the jetting.
No mate left the MJ @ 178. I can see that the N3EJ may wear you out more than the linear power of the NEDW but there is something about the snap up top that I am really loving at the moment. Perhaps the NEDW would be handy in the real sloppy stuff so will keep it for a rainy day.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

I find the N3 has the snap closer to the bottom. The NEDJ has heaps of snap up top, but like I said you were running a couple sizes too large on the main. If you lay the 2 needles side by side you can easily see that the taper end of the NEDx is alot thinner than the N3Ex.

I honestly find that I can keep the bike singing much more easily with the NEDx aswell. So its not all that boring. Just smooth bottom into a meaty mid with a screaming top. In comparison I found the N3Ex a bit weak off the bottom followed by a very abrupt snap into the mid range, and a screaming top. In most snotty situations it was always snapping in and out of the power which is what wears me down. I find myself controlling wheel spin instead of riding faster. In the dry I now miss that crack of power. Fortunately all I have to do is open the throttle a little more.

If you ever get around to swapping the needles around again make sure you drop a 172 main in there with it. It'll make a world of difference to the top end.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade_crawler View Post
My bike smoked like crazy with the N1EE needle. I liked the power but it was just too rich down low even with a 38 pilot. Happy to say that I swapped in my new NEDW needle and I'm very impressed with how much it cleaned up the smoke. Power is nice and linear but not anemic. The air screw adjustment seems to have more of an influence on how the bike runs now.
2011 250 38 carb
42 pilot
NEDW 3rd clip
178 main
200', ~45F
Little observation since the last time I had the bike running. Same jetting adjustments just a little colder temp. Bike doesnt start as easily as I would like, and with the choke on the idle seems to hang. One blip of the throttle seems to cure both problems. With the choke off or the bike warm idle is fine, but needs a slight crack of the throttle to start on the first few kicks, even when warm. Bike runs great otherwise, and off idle response is stellar. Am I still lean on the pilot causing the harder starting and high choke idle?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 AM

Default NEDW needle needed

Working on some jetting testing. NEDW backorded from Suzuki till after Xmas.

Anyone got a spare, I'll pay or replace later. PM me. Thanks.
Downingtown, PA 19335
484.593.0095 shop
evan@solid-performance.com
www.solid-performance.com
Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPerformance View Post
Working on some jetting testing. NEDW backorded from Suzuki till after Xmas.

Anyone got a spare, I'll pay or replace later. PM me. Thanks.
I've got one. PM sent.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Default NEDW v NEDF

Whats the difference between NEDW and NEDF its for the 250 using nedf at mo still got hanging tickover 40pj, 175mj, clip 2, as 1.5 turns bike in uk smooth power delivery is what im after
Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

The difference is a few sizes on the needle diameter. The F being richer than the W.

If your idle is hanging, have a look at the position of the idle screw. If its turned in too far (as they are when delivered with the stock needle) it will indeed hang and race alot.

What model carb? AS1 or 2?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Default NEDJ v NEDF

As1 carb, idle screw not turned in very far just enough to lift slide slightly, do you know what causes hanging idle I have never had this on any other bike. many thanks.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp View Post
As1 carb, idle screw not turned in very far just enough to lift slide slightly, do you know what causes hanging idle I have never had this on any other bike. many thanks.
A lean condition causes your idle to hang