Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:40 AM

Default DC conversion on a 98

Hello,
I want to convert the complete electrical system on my EC250 98' to dc, to run a halogen headlamp, and led blinkers, taillight, a aftermarket digital speedo and a horn.
I've looked up many of the dc conversion threads, but I seem to have a different ignition system/a different stator.
Can anyone help me out how to make it happen?

index1.jpg
index.jpg

Old 08-24-2020, 11:24 AM

That's a very nice motor with the counterbalncer. You've got the original external rotor. It is a separate system that puts out AC voltage. You could feed the output into a full wave rectifier for DC output. Ground one side of the DC output and connect up your wiring. This will work since the separate system is not grounded (at least that is the way I think it is made).

Note that you'll need to remove the flywheel and unhook any lighting coil wires from the small stator. Leave the larger single winding connected to power the CDI.

Download some GG quad wiring diagrams and study them. Your system was used on quads. Enduro bikes changed to the simpler sytem that everyone is familiar with.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:34 AM

I've attached a quad diagram. You can see the external stator shown as "V". The internal stator (under the flywheel) is shown as "G" in two places. The one on the right shows how the CDI is powered and also shows the pickup trigger. Note that the AC lighting coil is not connected. The mystery part is that they show another "G" which looks like a 2K3 configuration. AC ouput is regulated as compared to the external stator output which is rectified.

This diagram is for machines that would be newer than yours. You'll need to do some investigation to see what actually matches yours. I suspect the older machines use the 2K2 internal stator, but that is only specualtion on my part. Perhaps someone familiar with the older machines will chime in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GG wiring diagram for wild 300.pdf (169.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:05 AM

Ok thank you very much, that helps a lot.
But are you sure, that "V" is the external stator? Because I have 3 cables going out of it, and it looks more like the left "G" stator in on the diagram (based on the cable colors)

So red would be my AC ground, but it must not be connected to the engine/frame, but only a rectifier. Those cheap chinese 4 wire ones would work, right? The 2 yellow wires can be spliced together and also be fed into the rectifier. The remaining wires on the rectifier are my regulated DC voltage and ground. This ground can be connected to the frame, if the ground from the other stator (under the flywheel) is floated.

Did I get this right?

Last edited by grachal; 08-25-2020 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:35 AM

The left side "G" is like a 2K3 setup. What that means is that there is one set of windings with a "tap" part of the way up. Typically the bottom yellow wire would be grounded and the tap would be AC voltage out where the red wire is shown. The top yellow wire that is disconnected would be a full ouput AC voltage that then gets rectified for DC. Let's ignore the colours for a moment. With bottom point as ground, the mid-point (actually about 85%) is normal AC output (it gets regulated). The upper point is higher AC voltage output (it gets regulated and rectified to DC). That is how the 2K3 works on the newer bikes. In your case the red wire is ground and AC comes out on the bottom yellow. The important thing to know is that only part of the windings are used (on this quad diagram). DO NOT assume your bike is the same. This would be only for the windings UNDER your flywheel.

So let's talk about the external stator. If we ASSUME that the red wire is ground, you could have two sets of windings common to that red wire. This means each yellow wire outputs AC voltage. With the yellow wires connected together, you would get higher current at the same voltage. The quad diagram could be showing that only the yellow wires are meant to be used. This would provide the maximum AC voltage. The red wire would not be connected, thus the AC output is isolated and ready for a rectifier that has one of the output wires connected to chassis ground.

I can't tell you how to connect it because I'm not there to test how it works. This is much like using transfomers. There are multiple ways to hook it up based on how the taps are used. Study the external stator windings. Is red a common point? What resistance readings do you get between all the wires?
Old 08-25-2020, 11:39 AM

Note that GG is notorious for making year to year changes that are not documented. See if you can find some bike specific wiring diagrams. They do change colours so beware.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:10 PM

v is the fan!