Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM

It seems as though the 300's like to run a little leaner in the middle than the 250's, hence the #2 position on the NEDW needle for the 300's. Which makes sense.Where as the guys with the 200's will more than likely want to go even richer in the middle than the 250's. It may even push them into an NECH needle.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:25 AM

Default don

Jako:

If you are in #2 with a W needle you should try (maybe you have and I missed it) a J needle in #3. You mentioned lower openings; index your throttle and see where it really is, my guess is it's in the 1/8th area. Assuming your reeds are good that area is influenced by the cut of the slide and needle diameter. Hard starting is a too lean pilot/air screw setting (using the choke to start a warm engine).

Just a thought.
2009 KTM 250XC - street legal CO trails connector

2015- Giant Trance carbon advanced-pedal power
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clw View Post
Jako:

If you are in #2 with a W needle you should try (maybe you have and I missed it) a J needle in #3. You mentioned lower openings; index your throttle and see where it really is, my guess is it's in the 1/8th area. Assuming your reeds are good that area is influenced by the cut of the slide and needle diameter. Hard starting is a too lean pilot/air screw setting (using the choke to start a warm engine).

Just a thought.
Hey Don. You haven't missed it. I haven't ordered the NEDJ yet but based on my findings so far if I did I would still be running it in clip 2. The needle while in clip 3 is far too rich right across the board.

Tomorrow I plan to test out the 38 NEDW2 170. Listening back over my video of different setups the NEDW2 definately sounds the strongest. If I can't have a win with this then I'll be ordering a J and pairing it with a 40P again.

To be honest I'm an obsessive compulsive tinkerer. Can't get enough of it. Just hope it can help a few others out along the way.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
To be honest I'm an obsessive compulsive tinkerer. Can't get enough of it.
You have the sickness

Who's Don?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

I thought you were.. It was at the top of your reply. Hahah!!
I definately have the bike sickness.. Sick in the head.. I think sometimes all this messing with it is just another excuse to start it up and take it for a ride..

More testing done.. Still not 100% happy.. Ended up going to 40 N3EJ (yamaha needle) 175 just for comparison. The n3 definately has more of a mid range snap to it. The J taper also allows me to clean up the bottom end a bit more without burbling or having to lift the clip. I've just ordered 2 more needles NEDJ and NECJ and hope to have one of them hit the spot. Probably NEDJ#2. I have spare needles if anyone needs some to test

Last edited by Jakobi; 10-25-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM

nedw in 2011 250 6days

so I've played around with this needle a bit.
Sunday I was running a 45 pilot, 175 main, #2 slot
elevation 700ft above sea level temp 50f

in the 2 slot the bike seemed a bit lean eveywhere. enough to make me think this ain't right and to go back to the truck. I raised the needle to the #3 slot. much better it seemed a bit rich off the bottom and a bit lean in the mid and top but the bike ran alot better than in the 2 slot. If I knew the temps were going to stay in the 50's I would try the 42. However the cold is moving in and I need to think about starting the day in the mid to high 30's and having the temps go up to 60 or just stay in the 30's 40's or 50's all day.

Whats the coldest temp you'd run a 42 in??

the 45 was too lean in the 2 slot but a little rich in the 3 slot
would a 42 in the 3 slot be more/less lean than a 45 in the 2 slot??
sounds like I'm getting down to splitting hairs

my plan is to leave the 45 in for the cold, 3 slot and maybe bump up to a 178 for peace of mind and deal with the rich condition

42/175 with the needle in the 4 slot be the same??

both the n1ef and nedw seem to make the bike a bit lean in the mid and top
that said I like the nedw much better
Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Very strange that you find yourself falling lean on top with both the n13 and nED range as they both have a rich 3rd taper that would usually require a smaller main. The n3 range has a lean mid/top end.

I have found the needle straight diameter to have a pretty big influence over the burble just off idle. If I leaned out the pilot enough to clean up the off idle stutter I'd get a racing idle and some hard starting.

NEDJ the next leanest on the straight diameter, or NECx needles are available as half clips.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Skid, I'm riding in the same exact conditions as you are. I probably live less than 100 miles from you. I've been running my bike, 11' 250, with a 42 pilot still, the needle is still in the #3 slot, but I've gone up to a 175 main, and set the AS @1.5 out. Your not going to hurt the bike,seize it, on the pilot. The only thing I plan on doing is raising the needle to the 4th clip when the temps get into the lower 40's. As far as the bike feeling lean or going flat on the topend, I think that's just how these bikes run. It's the only thing I'm not really impressed with. I have a tendency to ride the bike like a 125 when I put the 50 tooth sprocket on it, and if there was something that was going to happen to the engine while I was on the main jet it would have, but I couldn't even get the bike to boil a drop of water out of it. IMO the jetting with the NEDW neddle is very flexable. I've had no problems using that needle from temp in the 40's-90's with only minor changes.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC View Post
As far as the bike feeling lean or going flat on the topend, I think that's just how these bikes run. It's the only thing I'm not really impressed with.
That's mostly a function of your Gnarly and its short sweet spot. The old DOMA pipe was better rounded IMHO.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clw View Post
That's mostly a function of your Gnarly and its short sweet spot. The old DOMA pipe was better rounded IMHO.
Not sure I really agree. Well I do. The Gnarly is known to sacrifice some top end. I'm running the stock pipe though and don't find the top end to have too much over rev.

Don't get me wrong it'll rip along up top but it does seem to sign off a bit or more so if happier to click the next gear. This is on a 300 compared to the 250's though. I'd imagine they'd have a bit more over rev than the 300.

I also agree with MJC. I have ran mine with a 40P and NEDW#1 172 and while it did begin to feel a bit too lean when being worked hard it never spat any coolant or pinging.