Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 PM

11 250 6 days

so I put an nedw in today. I like the way it delivers power, nice and smooth but it seems to make the bike lean. I started with a 40 pilot and 175 main, went to a 42 pilot and then 45, needle on 3rd slot. still lean, went to a 178 main still lean, moved the needle to the 4th slot and it was better but still seemed a bit lean. temp was about 62F light rain to drizzle. 500 ft above sea level. cold is suppose to move in this week. As it sits I'd be concerned about this needle if it were 50F out. in its current state its not bad, bit of a burble in the middle. I run 93 octane pump gas, 10% ethanol. I'm thinking the ethanol has something to do with the lean condition. not sold on this needle at the moment. at least for when its cool out ....

Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
11 250 6 days

so I put an nedw in today. I like the way it delivers power, nice and smooth but it seems to make the bike lean. I started with a 40 pilot and 175 main, went to a 42 pilot and then 45, needle on 3rd slot. still lean, went to a 178 main still lean, moved the needle to the 4th slot and it was better but still seemed a bit lean. temp was about 62F light rain to drizzle. 500 ft above sea level. cold is suppose to move in this week. As it sits I'd be concerned about this needle if it were 50F out. in its current state its not bad, bit of a burble in the middle. I run 93 octane pump gas, 10% ethanol. I'm thinking the ethanol has something to do with the lean condition. not sold on this needle at the moment. at least for when its cool out ....
Where abouts are you lean? Symptoms? Pinging? Plug? Loss in power? What was your previous jetting?

If you have a hanging idle and have come from a F,G,H diameter needle you may simply have to back the idle screw off. If the slide is lifted too high this too will cause hanging idle. 36/38mm carb?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 PM

had a 40 pilot, n1ef 2nd or 3rd slot 175 main a/s probably 2 out.

trying to get rid of the rich off bottom that clears out and gives you a bit of snappieness coming on the needle.

the nedw 3rd slot, 45 pilot and 175 main a/s 1.5 or so, felt good tooling around the yard but a look at the plug showed more white than I like. which was a bummer cause I was digging the crisp throttle. I popped in the 178, 3rd slot but went to the fourth

in its current form its pretty good up to about 1/2 or 3/4 throttle than you get a burble which then cleans out and it rips on top.

most of my riding is 1st 2nd and 3rd gear techy stuff. I like a nice clean throttle off the bottom
Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Ah yeah.. My bike would burble and carry on and was hardly ridable with N1EF any richer than 1st clip. Even then it was a bit rich.

Are you using a new plug or an old one? A new plug will always take a few hundred km to really colour up properly I have found. If you put an old plug in an it comes out white afterwards its a sure sign you're lean. What about oil around the threads? Any residue there? Mine was a beautiful golden colour down 3 threads after a quick ride.. To be honest I go more by feel and response than plug colour..

Both the NE and N1 range have a rich 3rd taper. You should be fine with the same 175 main. I too have the slight richness in the midrange but I think this is what gives it the somewhat smooth transition onto the pipe.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM

went looking to see if I have a 36 or 38 carb. The only number I can find is on the top cover where you pull out the slide ... says 36, so I'm assuming I have the 36. curious what would be the performance difference between the 2.

the plug has plenty of time on it.
as far as looks go
the insulator doesn't look too bad
the electrode that comes out if it doesn't look too bad, darkish brown
the little hook thing that the spark jumps too is pretty gray/white
The threads look a dry dark brown
the flat part of the threads that is pointing down into the motor is pretty damn near clean ... ie I can still see the gold color of the metal

The white-ish hook thing and the no residue on the flat part of the threads is what concerns me

oh yeah I am getting a hanging idle that drops back down after a bit and I have played with the idle screw. If I back it out too much the hang comes down quicker but then the bike won't idle. to get it to idle you gotta turn it in enough to make it hang longer than i'd like
Old 10-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10670

It sounds near perfect to me.

Just confirming you are doing actual plug chops under load, and if you've done them at 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle. How far have you had to screw in the idle screw to get an idle? I'd still go back to a 42 and then back the idle right off to stop the idle hanging.

The 36mm carb should require leaner jetting than a 38mm. Performance wise it should offer a bit more low end resp at the expense of a little bit of top end.

Another Australian with a 2011 EC300 36mm came to this "after two days of jetting, ended at 40 clip 3. 175 (16 c at sea level) gobs of power and very linear with a nice upper mid hit when you get some space. "

MJC's settings are as follows:
Bike= 11' xc250 Six Days
Carb= 38mm ASII
Elevation= 0-2500
93 octane pump gas

Main=172
Pilot=40
Needle=NEDW #3
AS=2 turns out
Slide= stock #7
Old 10-02-2011, 12:10 PM

After reading this thread, I to picked up the NEDW to try on my '05 DE300.

My previous jetting was 38 pilot, 170 main, DDM needle in #2. I have tried a CCK as well, looking to clean things up and get rid of the some blubbery spots off idle up to 1/4 throttle.

I put in the NEDW #2 and left the 38 pilot, 170 main. I rode about 30 miles of tight singletrack, about 2000 ft. Lots of rocks and roots on these trails and most of the day is spent in 2nd gear with some 3rd gear flowing sections.

I really like this needle! I have very crisp, clean delivery from idle to 1/2 throttle where most of my riding is done. Power is linear without hesitation or blubbering. I have perfect idle at 2 1/2 tuns out.

Because things are so clean off idle and crisp, I had to be a little more careful since I was getting power to the ground quickly. I have a G2 throttle cam with the #4 disc which helps. I also rode all day in the sun mode because I like the quicker delivery at 1/4 throttle on up. I really like the smooth linear delivery with no hesitations or blubbering. I think it helps get through tough sections quicker and with constant hook up.

At 1/2 throttle I get a bit of lean hesitation, so I need to try a 172 or 175 main.

I did not check my plug, but still have a thin line of spooge down the silencer after a 30 mile ride. This may be do to a soaked silencer though and I should check my plug, which I will do today.

I have had tons of 2-stokes over the years with JD kits, RB carb mods, LT jetting (my last Gasgas), and I think this needle is as good as any set up I've used.

I got great mileage as well compared to the CCK which was terrible.

Thanks Jakobi for the great info here.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

FF.. What temps and elevation? Have you tried running at clip 3 to see how that alters you mid range.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Temps were in the mid 60's to mid 70's. I was at about 2000+ft. elevation.

Haven't tried moving the clip, but that would be a good place to start.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quick and easy and will let you know if you're going in the right direction, although my experiences have pretty much shown the needle to make the most different to the 1/4+ throttle area. Pretty keen to hear how you go with it all. Alot of my riding is also tighter trails with pleanty of trail junk, roots, rocks, ruts etc and really value clean response off idle and into the mid range. Cheers, Jake