Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 AM

Default 2012 300 racing vs 2011 xcf 350 ktm suspension

i have had the mazo 48,s revalved it has a ohlins on the rear , my question is why does the suspesion not feel half as good as the xcf which had been revalved too ?
thanks too all for the good advice british

Old 12-04-2013, 05:32 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishgas View Post
i have had the mazo 48,s revalved it has a ohlins on the rear , my question is why does the suspesion not feel half as good as the xcf which had been revalved too ?
thanks too all for the good advice british
Are they both revalved by the same tuner, and to the same rider's preferences?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

A 4t will always handle differently to a 2t IMO
Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

What forks come on the xcf?

Too many variables to say if its one thing or another. Internally you have design (shaft size, piston/port sizes, shim stacks, tune, spring weight, preload, fluid weight, slickness and level, number and size of bushings). Externally you have things like binding from misaligned forks, over tightened triple ckamps. Then there is the chasis itself which I think plays a bigger part than many realise. The amount of flex, rake angle and offset. Not to mention a 4T always puts more weight on the front end both by having the bigger heavier engine, and the braking efffect when closing the throttle.

Expecting them to feel the same is huge. Having them behave in a compliant and confidence inspiring manner is the aim.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM

twin chamber 48 mm wp, i will check the torques on the triple clamps in the morning,front wheel allignment is it the saame as a ktm ?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

10-12Nm is more than enough on the lower triples. I also remove the middle bolt as 3x is overkill.

The fork alignment simply requires you to slide the axle in. Do the large allen head bolt on the brake side and continue to do it up until it snugs the quick pull lever against the guard. At this stage position the quick remove handle on the axel where you want it. Usually a few mm from the fork guard. Then snug up those pinch bolts. Torque up the allen head axle bolt, and then tighten the pinch bolts. Then back of the pinch bolts on the other side (quick pull) and the leg should float on the axle a couple mm's in each direction. Let it find its natural home either by bouncing the suspension a few times or using the front brake wheel spin technique. Then snug up the pinch bolts again.

Also, how many hours do you have on the forks. Are they fully broken in? Its hard to beat the initial plushness of the bladder setup on the WP CC. The zokes might not feel as plush, but should still track true and not beat you up. If they do, maybe the revalve wasn't so great.

I'll have more info to share once I get some hours on mine. Right now they feel like they have a load of stiction and very firm when compared to my TTX carts (with heavier springs). I'm sure they'll loosen up in time. Then it'll be evaluate, service, and tune time.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Sounds like a set of stock forks. I just sent mine out so I'll soon see what a re-valve does.
Mine beat me up and liked to deflect, pulled them at about 23hrs.
I would guess the fork is quite a bit stiffer on the GasGas compared to the WP stuff, mine was.

www.gasserparts.com
Old 12-06-2013, 04:16 AM

done about twenty hours now , they seem to deflect rellay badly for the first hour then get better ,i was at an enduro recentley and a guy had the same bike without the suspension revalved and it felt much more plush than mine ?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Great advice .I tried loosening everything off and setting the front end and setting it as per jakobi said and hey presto its mint .its amazing the difference setting everything to the correct torque does
Old 12-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Good outcome. Always best to look at the easy options first too.