Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Mecasystem Skidplate

A while back Nick sent me a brand new Mecasystem skid plate for my new 2008 Gas Gas EC300, just for a review of the product. This is in his opinion the best skid plate going for Gas Gas 2 stokes. He wasn't sure of the fitment on the 2008 model and said give it a try.

Well from the first moment I saw it, I knew this skid plate would be far better than any I have ever owned. Its 1 1/2 to 2 times as thick as anything else on the market and screams quality.
The front mount is steel so it is good and strong and the rear is a part of the skid plate and points toward the rear of the frame and tucks over the middle of the rear frame spar. A smart simple design that took me more time to put the included sound deadening sticky back foam on the frame rails than to actually mount the skid plate itself. Once installed you notice the exceptional coverage it provides and that it fits like a tailored glove. Yep thats right Gas Gas fans, even on my 2008. The only place clearance is even close is in the front near the exhaust but not an issue at all.

One comment on an earlier post thought you may have to pull the Skid plate to change the oil. This is not the case as long as you have a #6 T-handle Allen. They cut a slotted hole in the right location for easy oil changes.

My new Gas Gas drew a pretty steady stream of interested gawkers on Sunday at our Season opening Enduro. I got several comments and questions about the skid plate cause not only does it look stout but it looks trick with its polished shine and holes bored out all over it.

How does it work you ask, It worked great! The thing takes abuse slides over logs and rocks and it handles case hits on G -outs and whoops and stays put! I could not be happier with this product and now 100% agree with Nick this is the best Skid plate for 2 strokes.

You just can't go pick up one of these anywhere though. So if I were you and your lookin for a quality 2 stroke skid plate I would contact Nick Collin Cycle Pro 775 in Elko Nevada, he is a sponsor of this site and last I heard still had a couple of these sweet skids in stock.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Thanks for the write-up. When and if my Moose plate dies I'm going to consider one of those.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:25 PM

I saw this skid plate when I rode Roscoe's new '08 300 on saturday. On a scale of 1 to 10, it comes in at about 12.5...

I called Nick at cycle pro and ordered one for my new husky, along with their rad braces, etc. It is champagne quality, and with the low dollar, probably will have a champagne price tag!

jeff
Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the writeup, Roscoe. What are you using for a pipe guard?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 PM

The bike came fitted with an fmf gnarley pipe and he had an e-line carbon fiber guard on it.

jeff
Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Skid plate

How can we see a picture of this skid plate? We bought 3 of the scorpion skid plates out of Canada. The front of the skid plates had to be cut to clear the pipe, but after that the things are holding on much better than anything else I have tried,(moose and flateland) It did take some time to cut the front out so I would be interested in seeing the new plate. Does it have a hole to drain the cylinder also? Thanks Tom
Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM

No need to cut the mecasystem skid plate. A rap with a piece of wood and a hammer will do. It does have the hole for the cylinder drain and the water pump. Here are a couple of pics. My bike is a muddy mess right now, after I clean it up I will try to find the time to take some close up shots on the bike.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:10 PM

I absolutely agree. I just installed one on my 07. Exceptional quality and the heaviest duty plate I've ever seen. It's worth the extra money.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 AM

Here are a couple pics of it mounted on the bike.

This one shows the clearance to the exhaust without bending the plate in.