Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Dirt rider tests 2013 250xc

Really guys......just one page! I expected more than that, well at least they liked it. Maybe we'll get 2 pages with the upcoming 300 shootout!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Dirt Rider continues to disappoint me. There are enough "moto" mags already,dont like the new small print,new larger size doesn't fit in my lunchbox,half page Gas Gas test's,too much mx bling. Keep forgetting to call and cancel subscription. The other day my son said "Hey Dad, dirt riders doin a 300 2stroke shootout, I cant wait to see how they stack up." To which I replied "Bet they pic the new Beta just because it's NEW,otherwise they would pick a ktm, Denison isn't a Gas Gas or Husky fan like Lewis was." New issue came yesterday=six page spread on how Beta is bike of the year...Shocker
Gonna make that call.
Moto Farm motor and suspension service 309 310 2540 leave a message
www.halls-cycles.com
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Dirt Rider continues to disappoint me. There are enough "moto" mags already,dont like the new small print,new larger size doesn't fit in my lunchbox,half page Gas Gas test's,too much mx bling. Keep forgetting to call and cancel subscription. The other day my son said "Hey Dad, dirt riders doin a 300 2stroke shootout, I cant wait to see how they stack up." To which I replied "Bet they pic the new Beta just because it's NEW,otherwise they would pick a ktm, Denison isn't a Gas Gas or Husky fan like Lewis was." New issue came yesterday=six page spread on how Beta is bike of the year...Shocker
Gonna make that call.
Beta is a much better bike than my last 2010 six days gasser. I havent rode a 12 or 13 gasser but until they figure a way to shave 15 or 20 pounds they will be behind the game. I've had several gassers and I know they dontfeel heavy and they turn like nothing else but every time I ride one I cant help but think how much better it could be. I'm very happy with my beta 300, it is a better bike than a gasser and I am a gasgas fan.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 PM

So is the Beta really better than a 2013 GasGas or just lighter?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
I think you need to ask two separate questions John
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Dirt Rider continues to disappoint me. Gonna make that call.
I cancelled my subscription. The latest rag was nothing more than a big catalog.

The cover pic of the BETA is a joke. you can tell the mud was splattered on the bike rather than ridden in mud.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
I have not rode a 13 so I can't say for sure. The build quality of the beta is much better than my 2010 gasser. I understand the 12 and 13 are a step above the 10's but they only trimmed a couple pounds. I loved my 2010 gasser in the woods and never really noticed the extra weight it was carrying, it was the best turning bike I've ever had. We will all just have to imagine how unbelievable the gasgas could be if they were able to get the weight down to where the competition is at.

I would have purchased a 2012 gasser if dealers in California could get them.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:59 PM

I don't agree that dropping 15-20 pounds off the gassers is the way to go. Much of the weight is stuff that guys will add on anyways to a KTM etc- like Heavier tubes, lights etc, etc..
It's pretty much a given that the real world riding weight of a 250-300 2t is going to be 250-260# full of fluids and armoured up.
When you see ads for a bike that's 20 # less than the competition, the first question one should ask is - What did they sacrifice to get the weight to that level? They had to have given up something, as all bikes share too many common, or similar parts that all weigh the same(or very close):
Tires
Tubes
Rims/hubs/axles/brakes
suspension
Carbs/filters
Exhaust
Handlebars/controls
Plastics
Seats
Wiring

The only areas that engineers can potentially really save weight(without using expensive unobtanium materials) is in the frame/engine & we all know how that's worked for KTM in the past.(blown up motors/broken steering heads). Either that or they have to scrimp on the items I listed above. Nothing comes for free.

IMO the GG's are much closer out of the box to a real world riding weight than a KTM (and possibly a Beta?). The biggest advantage I can see with the new Beta is that it may have a better e-start system, but only time will tell.
I only had to add handguards, Rad guards & a lic plate to my '12GG.

That extra weight helps keep the bike planted better in the chop and crap. That along with the tractable engine makes it hook up better than any 2t I've ever ridden.

IMO the new GG's have all the benefits & nimbleness of a 2t along with the tractability of a 4t. They still look better than the new Betas in my eyes as well.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:24 PM

At a race back in the fall, I unknowingly ran the last three 7-mile laps without water (hole in the radiator). Do that with a KTM and see what happens.

I rode my neighbor's 300 Beta (non Race model). Not as stable at speed, even with a Scotts damper. Needs a bit of FWW. An Ex-GG Cali-A-Racer was in Arizona with his new Beta back in February for one of our racer. He like the Beta, but he said, and I quote, "Nothing turns like a Gas Gas." He remarked that it wasn't as stable at speed.

Last edited by AZRickD; 04-20-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:38 PM

Since my bike is completely disassembled at the moment, there are only two items that feel heavier than the competition. That's the swingarm and the engine. I have to hope that the extra weight pays off in durability.