Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Gasser Wisdom Please

Hi Guys

What a great site.

I run a small off-road comapny in Portugal and am about to replace my fleet of trusty XR400s with; well I'm not sure. I have been talking with Gas Gas and am considering running the new 450 with some EC250s or 200s for a bit of variety. Am I insane considering the two-strokes? Are the new 450s proving reliable in your expereince? What about issues like range and running costs (for the 2Ts) ? We like to do things differently here (I'm not looking at the orange brand) and I would appreciate your input. Our rides are typically 100 -180 kms per day through all sorts of conditions, I know the Gassers ride great but do they last the course? Although we are right next to Spain Gas Gas is not a big brand in Portugal so I would appreciate you wisdom.

All comments/thoughts welcome.

Cheers.

Dave

Old 05-12-2007, 08:27 PM

A 450 will only get you 80km's in tight single track on a tank.
Don't know about the 2 strokers.

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 AM

Fuel economy isnt their strongest pint but if you had a support vehicle half way then i tihkn they would be great bike for you. The two-strokes from what ive seen are fairly reliable and hassle free. ive only had experience with the 06 450 and it seems to run oretty well. Mind you the owner is away for 6-8 weeks and is only home for 2 but in those 2 weeks he rides it to with-in an inch of its life. I think you need to go and see someone (if spain is close go direct) who knows a lot about Gas Gas and see for yourself whether they are up to your standard
Old 05-13-2007, 07:34 AM

thanks. Not too worried about the range as i see that bigger aftermarket tanks are available. I'm more concerned about reliability (with the 4t) and running costs of the 2T and also general quality - I can't have them falling apart after a couple of months hard use. Have been to Spain but only really got the 'offical' line from dealers, I need info from actual riders and owners.
Anymore comments would be very welcome. Thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 AM

Well I purchased my bike because I was also looking for a bike that lasts and reliable. I think I made a good choice.

GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 05-13-2007, 09:25 AM

I was thinking that I would buy a new bike after two years but my '05 450 still feels fresh and makes me smile after every ride. Still don't understand why this bike didn't catch on in the U.S. I understand the '07 are better yet, I need to pile on more miles and wear this thing out to justify a new bike...
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 AM

I own an 04 300DE 2T and love it. The only problems that cost me some $$$ was getting the suspension reworked. But it needed it. The 2 strokes are very reliable and last a very long time if properly maintained.

I would put one of each 200, 250, 300, and the 450 on your floor. All of these bikes are great buys and you are giving the customer some variety to choose from. Happy selling!

Boom
Old 05-13-2007, 04:13 PM

I think they are as reliable as nearly anything out there. You realize that the Honda xr 400 may be the most hassle free piece of machinery ever devised by man. I had one for years before I switched to a GG. I do more routine maitinence on my current bike, 02 se300, every six monthes than I ever did the whole time I owned the XR. The XR is a trail/play bike, the GG's are race bikes for better or worse.

Paul B
Old 05-13-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
I think they are as reliable as nearly anything out there. You realize that the Honda xr 400 may be the most hassle free piece of machinery ever devised by man. I had one for years before I switched to a GG. I do more routine maitinence on my current bike, 02 se300, every six monthes than I ever did the whole time I owned the XR. The XR is a trail/play bike, the GG's are race bikes for better or worse.

Paul B
Yep Paul the XR is rock solid - that's why it's so difficult replacing them. I know the 2Ts are race bred but from what I hear the 450 is more of a trail tool than full on Enduro bike (which is why they interest me).

Boom - that was my idea too, a Gasser of every size, I'm trying to negotiate a big discount with the importer but business moves slowly in Iberia.

Thanks to all for the input, please keep the comments coming.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Don't be fooled, the FSR450 is a full blown enduro racer.
But it has excellent trail manners in the bush.

GasGas FSR450 07'