Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:59 PM

Default Do I or Don't I?

Just after opinions!
Ive currently got a 2006 EC 250 that I like however being a man I cant help but always want something new! so Im just wondering as my 2006 is the only gasser ive ridden what people thoughts are on how much have they come on in the years following? im wanting to know is it worth me selling and buying something in the post 2011 years? I quite fancy having an E start but its not essential, I think Estart was 2013 for the 250?

any input appreciated!

Old 09-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Anything post 2011 will feel very different. The chassis and geometry changes are very noticeable. It's moved more towards the rest of the field. Increases frame and peg clearance, hard seat, etc. Favours more of an aggressive body position, but still doesn't have that strange feeling that ktm has. You still feel like you and the bike are one, vs you sitting on top of the bike.

They are noticeably heavier. Not so much in motion, but definitely when it comes to man handling or lifting in the shed.

Stability wise, the later models have the tip. They really are a pleasure to ride. Given the choice, I'd take it every time.

Overall the pre 11 feels more trials like. Better suited to really technical terrain. Easier to sit, easier to dab, smaller and more nimble in general. The newer models seem to be more suited to varying terrain.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:54 PM

thanks for the input, a really good comparison!

my 2006 has a 2007 sub-frame/seat and I definitely wouldn't describe it as comfy!

definitely food for thought! I know the best thing to do would be try and find someone with a newer model to let me have a quick go, I didn't realise the newer ones were heavier!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:33 PM

I think the e-start models may have started in 2010. My 2011 has e-start.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have no experience with the 11 down, but would take what Jakobi said as gospel.

If e-start is important to you I would only consider the 15 up. The older version is useless.

If your a racer you'll notice the weight of the 12-15. For casual riding the handling doesn't get much better. 12-14 is a little clumsy in very tight situations. The 15 is a lot better in that regard, I really like the 15.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Various linkage and frame changes between the 12-15's as well. I did some setup and test riding on my dealers 15, which has since been purchased by lonetree here on the forum. He has had a couple of 09's and maybe even a few before that. He loves the 15.

Nato went from a 10 to 12
N_green went from an 11 to 14.
Simmo737 followed a similar path.
Nocams upgraded his 10 to a 15.

Could reach out to all for their own opinion, as at the end of the day that's all that you'll get online. As you've stated, best way would be to get yourself a leg over one. The level of refinement has increased a lot from 12 onwards too. I probably wouldn't buy a 12, and aim as new as you can afford.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:14 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Great advise from everyone here. E-Start is nice to have but for me personally I kinda figure if I can't kick start my bike, it's time to find another hobby. Hey, I'm old school

Get what you can afford. At the end of the trail, it's all about having fun!

...but man, the 15 and 17 models are pretty sweet!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 AM

I definitely don't need an E start, never had one so don't really know what im missing just thought it might be nice sometimes towards the end of a race when knackered etc!

Great advice from everyone and ive definitely learnt a few things, my current thought is, wait and save a bit more to be able to afford a 15. im not the heaviest or strongest of chaps so im probably better off staying with my 06 rather than getting a heavier bike (I had also thought of a ktm xc150 just because of the low weight but its orange so don't think I could)

thanks again, ive already started listing some items on ebay to start the savings!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Save up n get the newest bike you can afford . I love my 15 but the 11 was nice to .
Old 09-11-2016, 11:02 AM

This has been an interesting read. I have never been brand loyal and try and to look at all my options. About four years ago I could no longer handle riding my xc-w I really grew to hate that bike(sales men talked me out of the xc) after some research I decided to try a gasgas it had every thing I was looking for close ratio, linkage and the price was right for a used one, so after searching I found a 2010 ec 250 that I could buy for $3500 So I picked it up I found that the forks were screwed and cylinder needing to be replated.
So after having eric gorr set the engine up and the suspension shop build some forks cc wp's ( I know they may not be the best but were easy to install I just bored the lower clamps .7mm dia and every thing else worked with the ktm wheel.) all this for what I sold my old bike for.
I have been riding and racing this bike since then and love it. I was told gasgas's were heavy but I don't notice and I really love the way it handles.
I think about buying a new bike but nothing really stands out yzx maybe but would it really be that much better?? I know this bike will be one that I will regret selling when the time comes!
My love for this bike was only possible because of this site and the people who are will to share their knowledge