Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Farewell GasGas

It’s gone.

Having a GasGas in my life is no longer. Sold it.

I bought a 2003 GasGas EC300 back in 2004 and rode the 2004 and 2005 enduro seasons on it. I became quite the GasGas fanatic.

In 2006 the International Six Day Enduro was being held in New Zealand - Australia’s neighbour. I’ve always wanted to ride and finish an ISDE so off I went.

For the event, I bought a 2006 GasGas FSE450 - the one time in my life that I’ve bought a motor vehicle brand new. I still remember the night that I picked it up from the shop, and then spent the rest of the night riding it around town to run the engine in.

My attempt at the ISDE was a failure. My bike and bike preparation were fine, but my physical preparation wasn’t. It was a tough event and I didn’t have the required fitness. I houred out at the end of the first day.

After that the bike didn’t really get used. I used it on the road a bit as a novelty in early 2007, but for reasons that I still can’t comprehend I never rode another enduro on it. It wasn’t until a couple of months ago that I snapped and decided that I had let this go on for too long.

One thing that I did learn from the 2006 ISDE was to stop riding big bikes in competitive events, and to choose a bike that uses the least amount of energy per kilometre. So, this year I bought a 2012 KTM250EXC-F. That definitely made the GasGas obsolete.

I advertised it, knowing that it would take a while to sell. Had a couple of phone calls over the last few months but nothing particularly serious. Then someone rang this afternoon, and we made a time for him to come over tonight.

It was obvious that he had already decided to buy the bike before he even got here, so negotiations were quick and simple.

Then it hit me. As much as I had been longing to get this thing sold, I was suddenly extremely sad to see it go.

It had to be done though. As attached as I was to that bike, the fact was that I just didn’t use it. Until June it hadn’t even been started in almost five years. What a waste.

And now it’s gone. The EC300 was stolen three years ago and I’ve just sold the FSE450. As much as I love GasGas, it’s unlikely that I’ll have another one. Unless the EC300 turns up somewhere… I’d happily keep that one forever.

I wish that GasGas got big. The local dealer couldn’t even get bikes to sell this year. Ok, it’s taken a couple of decades but KTM has gone from an obscure, minor player to mainstream. Husqvarna is doing well. Even Husaberg is a popular choice amongst enduro riders. There are many more Shercos than GasGases.

In the enduro boom of recent years, GasGas completely missed the boat. Despite economic conditions in other countries Australia has done very well. Bike sales figures are good.

But GasGas didn’t ride that wave. Damn shame. Buying a GasGas also means huge depreciation and difficulties with resale. I put close to $14,000 into my bike and consider it a miracle to have gotten $5,000 for it tonight.

I wish that I could afford to keep the FSE. Would have been nice to have kept it in a loungeroom (if I had one).

The buyer and I had a lengthy chat once the deal was done. The GasGas goodbye was dragged out, and I made sure that Martin had all the info that I gathered back in 2006.

It is possible that the bike and I will meet again. Martin will be changing work shifts soon, meaning that we’ll both have a few spare weekdays in a few months time. Going for a trail ride together is likely.

Until then, farewell GasGas. I wish you well.

The obligatory baby photo - the night I picked the bike up - 14th July, 2006.

At the Capel 200, 17th September 2006.

In the line for machine examination at the 2006 ISDE.

Before machine examination.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Inspected and passed.

Parked in the Parc Ferme at the 2006 ISDE - I took my camera in with me.

Its home in recent times. After spending recent years in a shed and then a storage unit, it got to spend the last few months in good company.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Cheers mate. That was a beautiful bike.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:10 PM

Awesome looking bike, best of luck!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 09-26-2013, 02:02 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Great story there Phil.The new owner will be well pleased.They're a good bike.I'll be keeping mine.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM

Enjoy that KTM and good luck!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM

Got the same one mate, and a 2013 300R. Still happy with the Gassers.

Did you buy that 450 from Tyres For Bikes in Perth - I think I recognise that first photo?

Also.....Did it come with the Excel rims? Mine came with D.I.D Dirtstars.....
Old 10-01-2013, 03:27 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
It?s gone.

In 2006 the International Six Day Enduro was being held in New Zealand - Australia?s neighbour. I?ve always wanted to ride and finish an ISDE so off I went.

For the event, I bought a 2006 GasGas FSE450 - the one time in my life that I?ve bought a motor vehicle brand new. I still remember the night that I picked it up from the shop, and then spent the rest of the night riding it around town to run the engine in.

My attempt at the ISDE was a failure. My bike and bike preparation were fine, but my physical preparation wasn?t. It was a tough event and I didn?t have the required fitness. I houred out at the end of the first day.
Perhaps we almost met in Taupo?

In 2006 I was in Australia, installing a quality control system in a plant in Ballarat, Victoria. While I was there, my boss phoned and asked if I could go to New Zealand to visit two other customers while I was in the vicinity
The customers were in Taupo and Gore.
I accpeted the "offer" and off I went. While driving the rental car into Taupo I noticed several big "ISDE" signs. I wasn't really into enduro at the time, but I knew of course what ISDE is. Arriving in Taupo, I soon found out that the ISDE was to be held the week after, and that a few of the national teams already had arrived. I had a pizza in town one night, and there were enduro bikes everywhere. I think some from the US team had a pizza at the same time. I also visited the main area where all the teams would set up their gear, but only a few of them had arrived yet. I was however able to find one stall selling t-shirts, so I went off with a ISDE shirt. Unfortunately I didn't have time to stay around for the races, I had another customer to vistit in Gore, close to Invercargill. There I traced down the world's fastest Indian, buth that's another story.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc