Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by risk74 View Post
The bottom part of the cylinder that supports the intake side of the piston appears to be broken off as well.
Definitely looks like a chuck is missing off the bottom of it.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM

Anyone familiar with these cylinders know how much is missing? Hoping it's not too much and I can just clean the edges up and have it replated.

Also, good bit of play on the rod left and right, but surprisingly no vertical movement. The crank does seem a good bit tighter to the right side case(clutch cover side) than the left. Is this a normal thing?

I haven't found any large debris yet, but lots of small chunks missing and gouiging here and there. Pretty bad on the right side of the case next to the crank. I'm pretty surprised how tough this motor is, after ingesting such things and not locking up. Upon closer inspection it looks as if there were two pieces of something glued in between the two aluminum pieces, and they're nowhere to be found so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3164.jpg (122.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3165.jpg (121.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3168.jpg (122.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3184.jpg (122.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:53 PM

Here's a better shot of the bottom rear area of the cylinder. Also, while rotating the power valve by hand, seems like it turns a good bit on one side(1/4 turn or so) before the other side catches on and begins rotating and the valve actually begins lifting. Hoping it's just something loose in there, as it's binding a bit sometimes as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3185.jpg (111.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Default Any logical explanation as to what this is?

What do the cylinder walls look like?

Its odd that there are no pieces in there. How is the powervalve?

I'd say you at least need a piston and if you're going to split the cases, which you should I believe, then do a rod at the same time. Piece of mind is priceless.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 02-27-2017, 02:51 PM

I send the cylinder out to Power Seal, you would be surprised what they can fix.
I'd clean out the bottom end as the part that broke went somewhere.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:05 PM

Cylinder walls have a good bit of vertical wear marks, no serious damage that I can see so far. Typical wear pattern with a few odd ones here and there. I'm planning on dropping it off at Powerseal in PA, once I get a new piston. I'll try to get a decent picture up. I'm sure there's plenty of little gremlins to be found hiding under the crank.

I'm definitely going to get a fresh rotating assembly in there(crank, rod, piston), as well as new bearings and seals throughout. Not a fan of throwing things together and crossing my fingers. Currently trying to get a list together of what I'll need before I split the cases. Fortunately I have quite a few reputable bearing suppliers by me. I've read on here that apparently some models have a 2 piece bearing assembly on one side of the crank, whereas others don't. Anyone know if these are interchangeable?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Cylinder walls have a good bit of vertical wear marks, no serious damage that I can see so far. Typical wear pattern with a few odd ones here and there. I'm planning on dropping it off at Powerseal in PA, once I get a new piston. I'll try to get a decent picture up. I'm sure there's plenty of little gremlins to be found hiding under the crank.

I'm definitely going to get a fresh rotating assembly in there(crank, rod, piston), as well as new bearings and seals throughout. Not a fan of throwing things together and crossing my fingers. Currently trying to get a list together of what I'll need before I split the cases. Fortunately I have quite a few reputable bearing suppliers by me. I've read on here that apparently some models have a 2 piece bearing assembly on one side of the crank, whereas others don't. Anyone know if these are interchangeable?
A parts book will help answer your questions. Many of the bearing spec numbers are shown. If you do not have one, and are having trouble downloading one, message me and I will email one to you in the pdf format.
Check here first:
http://gasgas.com/us/manuals/downloa...list1.pdf.html

I tried to attach a workshop manual to this reply, but it didn't work due to file size. Message me with your email and I will send you one in a pdf format.

Good Riding and Wrenching!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Last edited by Jim Cook; 03-01-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Fumble fingers
Old 03-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Im not sure about Athena gaskets but the Cometic set I bought SUCKS. The case gasket doesn't line up worth a hoot and is on the verge of not even contacting the mating surfaces in 2 places. Several bolt holes needed trimmed so the hole would line up. I could've done a better job with gasket paper and a pencil. Next time I will be at the dealer buying OEM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam097 View Post
Im not sure about Athena gaskets but the Cometic set I bought SUCKS. The case gasket doesn't line up worth a hoot and is on the verge of not even contacting the mating surfaces in 2 places. Several bolt holes needed trimmed so the hole would line up. I could've done a better job with gasket paper and a pencil. Next time I will be at the dealer buying OEM.
I can't say about the Cometic gaskets for GasGas, but as GasGasman says, the Athena gaskets are good, and fit exactly. I use them often.
The only thing to watch about the Athena gaskets is that the base gaskets are a different color from the OEM base gaskets. Measure which base gasket you use to make sure that you are using the one you want.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 03-06-2017, 04:43 PM

Many thanks for the input, I'm chalking it up as one for the mystery van. Parts inbound for a rebuild. I'd certainly be doing things the hard(er) way if it weren't for some of the very helpful and knowledgable members of this site.