Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

You could have an issue with the rhs crank seal if it's really smokey too.

Certainly something not 100%..

Given you have 2 carbs both showing poor running outside of the normal scope I think it's pointing at an issue being elsewhere.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
You could have an issue with the rhs crank seal if it's really smokey too.

Certainly something not 100%..

Given you have 2 carbs both showing poor running outside of the normal scope I think it's pointing at an issue being elsewhere.
Agreed, with that needle and jets you should be very close to a well running bike.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 PM

A crank seal could definitely explain a few things with me chasing my tail with the smart carb. Also had nathan at technology elevated a little confused as to what was happening as well. I will try to do a leak down test today and see how that goes. 1 of the exhaust orings was cactus so I ordered a new set earlier in the week and it should arrive shortly.
If I cant do the leak down test is there another way of testing it?? Fingers crossed it isnt the case seal..
thanks

JC
Old 08-13-2019, 11:13 PM

Whilst I wait for my new crank seals to arrive, can someone please advise me as to wether or not the crank seal should be flush with the lip of the case or recessed in behind it. Seems to be mixed opinions as some say if it is recessed in behind the lip the crank can be starved of oil. Also the manual says to tighten the crank nut to 40Nm however I am told elsewhere it should be 98Nm. Big difference in pressure..
I am unsure.
thanks

JC
Old 08-14-2019, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

40Nm is what the old workshop manual says.. BUT IS WAAAAY under spec for a thread of that size that is rotating. Remember LH thread too, so you'll need a torque wrench that goes backwards or go by feel.

Put the seal flush to just proud. The inner lip runs on a bushing so doesn't really matter 'where'. There is nothing stopping you driving the seal in too far though and doing so will cover the oil feed for the crank. Probably not the best idea.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:16 AM

Ok,
update. Ive replaced the right hand crank seal n there has been no change in the smokeiness coming out of the exhaust. I havent checked the reeds yet as it was starting fine so thought they must be fine. I will check them tonight. My money was on the crank seal but it seems that is not the problem.

I went through a river crossing a few weeks back which resulted in an expansion chamber full of water. I still dont know if it came through the exhaust or the intake. I would have thought if it came through the intake then I would not have been able to start the bike. From memory I think the bike stopped briefly on the other side of the river but after a couple of kicks I got it going again and I didnt think of it again until I discovered water in the expansion chamber days later. Would there be any chance that there is water in the big end or somewhere that is causing it to be sucked up into the chamber and giving me all the smoke??
thanks

JC
Old 08-16-2019, 02:45 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

That bottom end is a pump. Not a good one but a pump never the less.

Any water would have been spat out in an instance.

Really hope you can nail this.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 08-16-2019, 02:54 AM

Did you do a leak down test? Seals aren?t the only places oil can be sucked in through. Poorly fitted gaskets, pin holes in crank cases... I have seen the lot!
Old 08-16-2019, 07:19 AM

I haven't done a leak test yet as I haven't been able to get my hands on a leak down tester. Hopefully get my hands on one over the weekend.
I pulled the reeds and they look brand new. I thought that the reeds may have been on upside down. Photo attached. Not 100% sure as I didnt take a heap of notice when I pulled the reeds out as I didnt realise these were offset slightly to the left for the carb boot intake, which is also offset to the left. Would this cause it to run rich??
I did do a compression test though. I hadnt done one on this bike before so havent got anything to compare the result to but all I could get was 80psi which seems like a very low reading.

I then had a look at the piston n rings through the exhaust port. There is heaps of blow by on the piston.Could it be possible that worn rings are causing my issue. Less than 40 hours on this bike since new. Bike generally starts first kick n i thought compression felt fine..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190816_194309.jpg (123.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:42 AM

Did you have the bike warmed up before doing the compression test?

Also did you do it via holding throttle wide open?

I wouldn't have thought it'd start with only 80psi