Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Site Sponsor

Default idle hangs with lighter slide return spring.

i've not figured out why this is happening. i ran the heavier spring and it worked fine for last 3 months, but i was sick of the right arm pump i was getting from having the draggy throttle. i've had this lighter spring on in the past and it did the same thing i am describing here.

i switched to the light spring, and throttle opens so smooth and easy, and i can get into the meat of the power without gripping tighter. it's 1000* better, and i can ride faster with less fatigue.

BUT idle wants to hang, and it kinda drags me along a bit. i've lubed and slackened the cable, played with idle and air screw (even adjusted the idle screw way out, so it was definitely closing), even tried another light spring, that i stretched. nothing works. is the lighter spring just not slamming the slide down with enough force to 'keep it shut'? i can hear it hitting the idle screw. i'm assuming that when i'm coming from wot, that the velocity of the mixture is burbling the slide up off the stop?????? or the velocity of the air is stopping it from settling down? the slide is smooth, with no nicks or burrs, as is the slide bore. or am i just imperceptibly leaning on the throttle enough to barely lift the slide??? i thought that was the case, and added a bunch of slack in the cable, but that did not fix it.

it's just a goofy thing, but it drives me nuts. i'd like it idle down asap, just like the heavier spring does.. i can fan the clutch a tiny bit to drag the motor back down to idle faster, but that takes concentration on something i'd rather not focus on. any solution??

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com

Last edited by stainlesscycle; 04-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

You can stretch the spring and then cut a couple of windings off to change the rate, maybe get it in between the current rate and the "too stiff" rate. Find a spring rate calculator and make some changes. If you have another light spring as a "just in case," then you can experiment at will.

I'll look for a link to a good calculator. I spent some time researching spring rates for an old YZ80 so that I wouldn't bottom it out while loading it into the van.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Site Sponsor

i'm gonna try machining a preload bushing, gotta look and see if i can figure out a way to preload spring without losing the ability to pull slide all the way up.

www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Here's a decent calculator. I used it for reference rates, fairly successfully:

http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm

I have used this one before, it does require some assumptions. But it will give you a solid reference when you lop off a couple of extra coils:

http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc_k.htm

You should be able to determine a decent "middle ground" spring rate from these links.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

I went to a Motion Pro cable and the drag is a lot lower than the OEM cable.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
I went to a Motion Pro cable and the drag is a lot lower than the OEM cable.
i checked cable, it's not dragging. it's entirely the spring rate that is effecting mine.

www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM

My throttle is super easy, as was the case on my previous two GGs, and I never had this problem. Try getting a new spring.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Could it be some sort of slide / slide guide wear issue? Things are worn, slide gets cocked, and won't return all of the way? Aerodynamic loads forcing the slide against the wall, keeping it from returning?

Just thoughts.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM

I had trouble with my stop screw once I removed it. The factory sealer came off and the screw would rock around in the bore. This meant the slide would not come to rest in the same place and I would get a different idle speed. I made up a new brass slide stop screw with an oversize M5 pitch diameter and it works perfectly now.

Even though your slide strikes the screw, the screw could be moving around based on the different spring pressures. The stock hole is fairly sloppy if you test the fit with a standard M5 screw.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Good one. Hadn't thought of that.