Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:53 PM

Sooo... after several failed attempts to get started racing (races cancelled, lack of $$$, schedule conflicts, etc.) I FINALLY RACED THE GASGAS! Every new years day, our local club hosts a race at Pozo, I have ridden sweep for this event before and I ride the area regularly so what better place to start? This years format had us leaving the start line in pairs in 10 second intervals and running as many ~15 mile laps as we could before they closed the check at 2 hours.

I started 21 out of 79 and only stopped one time near the end of my second lap to check on a fallen rider (he was fine, just got the wind knocked out of him.) I got lapped by the race leader (AA rider) at about the same place on my 3rd lap and I figured that I was done as I came into my 3rd check, but the clock was still running so they slapped me on my butt and sent me off on a 4th lap... I was not expecting that!

It turns out that I was the last rider through before they closed the check and I was spent! I was seated more than standing on my last lap which really beat me up and dropped my pace way down, but I kept going anyway. I started with the goal of "don't come in last" and I ended up with a 25th place finish which made me the last rider to place in "A" class (last rider to complete 4 laps) with only the top 2 AA guys completing 5. Most people only did 2. All in all, I'm fairly happy with my results... not bad for an overweight 31 year old with 2 false hips on a 14 year old bike!

I'll try to post a couple pics later.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 PM

Nice work J, sounds like you ripped it up!

Not intending to hijack, but just wanted to invite fellow SoCal GG riders on my trip to ride the Kern Valley/Canyon singletrack trails on Saturday, January 17th. Looks like it would be about a 3 hour drive for you (from Santa Maria), but figured I'd let you know... other SoCal GasGas riders are like unicorns, I hear about others down here but I've literally never seen another GG on San Diego area trails! My bike gets lots of attention/questions, for sure, after folks realize it's NOT a Yamaha (it's blue).

I will be riding the Kern area with a buddy who's racing the Lost Coyotes "Lost In The Woods III" enduro race (D37 West Chec qualifier) near Santa Clarita on that Sunday, the 18th. Considering entering as a beginner or novice to experience my first ever race... we'll see.

Anyway, if any of you guys ever wander south to San Diego or Imperial Counties to ride let me know!