Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 PM

i had to think about this for a while. not really a good thing i suppose.
but if i had to pick something im better than most at it would be really badly rooted out sections, just a track covered in slick tree roots. and root step ups, you know the ones half way up a hill where someone has got there rear wheel stuck and dug out a massive hole so its like a step with a root at the top.
line selection to i think. i can tend to pick cleaner firmer lines and get i tend to get stuck less.
whether any of that is me or the fact that the combined weight of me and the bike is 160kg, 350lbs.

im getting a lesson from nz best enduro rider, also a red bull sponsored rider, soon so hopefully i can improve a bit....

Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM

The Things That I Am Good At Is The Sand, And Then Rocky Areas. This Is Due To I Mostly Ride At Red River Motorcycle Trails In Bulcher, Texas.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=roostafish;34740]I love reading all these, it's great. I'm really good at cleaning my bike.

Interestingly enough, I'd say I'm "good" at riding in slick, horrifying conditions. sloppy, horrible mudfest
.QUOTE]

Just found my big dangerous problem: While standing, G-Forces during acceleration (like out of turn or up a hill) can make it a struggle to get OFF the gas: Can't twist the throttle back, or even let go. What's the technique?

I'm really bad at keeping a clean bike. I'm used to white water kayaks: you get home, climb up onto the top of the van and throw the boats off onto the lawn and leave them there till next time.

I do like the mud too. This winter has been a blast because it's been so muddy and greasey, and I just like those conditions. It seems to be a bit of an equalizer: slows down many of the faster guys more than it slows me down. Being able to predict and somewhat control the slides, where a lot of guys aren't used to it and seem to make quick movements that spin or down them.

Another thing I really need to work on is skills while standing: mainly wheelieing and also shifting.
Wheelieing while standing seemed less difficult when i last rode in the '70's when foot pegs were round, not flat platforms. Am I mistaken?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM

I'm good at staying up late and sleeping in. Why? Because I train at it almost every day. Only two good reasons for getting up early - fishing and riding dirt bikes - everything else can wait till later in the day.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM

I seem to pass a lot of riders on the hill climbs. I suppose that comes from growing up in West Virginia where everything is on a hill. Everyone I pass going up passes me going back down, so not sure its anything to brag about.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=T.Low;39789]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I love reading all these, it's great. I'm really good at cleaning my bike.

Interestingly enough, I'd say I'm "good" at riding in slick, horrifying conditions. sloppy, horrible mudfest
.QUOTE]

Just found my big dangerous problem: While standing, G-Forces during acceleration (like out of turn or up a hill) can make it a struggle to get OFF the gas: Can't twist the throttle back, or even let go. What's the technique?

The trick to that is to not reach around your throttle and grab a handful because when you are on the pipe you can't release. When you are standing or whatever riding position you are in, just reach straight up for the throttle, not over and around.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM

I have mastered the art of getting lost. More often than not on trails i have ridden several times before.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Im great at making anyone thats following laugh at me falling down. Fallen logs or roots that are on a 45degree to the trail scare me, I usually end up laying down
Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM

I am decent at riding in mud. Slick icy clay mud or deep rutted heavy mud. I love racing in the mud. I love before the races when everybody is bitchin and there heads are down before the race even starts. "Winning" I truely enjoy racing in the crappiest of conditions. I feel I am pretty mediocre in the easy fast stuff but make it hot, muddy, and tough and I just keep riding. I feel I actually ride faster in the mud. Something about crashing and sliding instead of screaching to a halt on dry ground while melting my gear to my flesh. It must be a mental thing.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 PM

I'm good at knowing my limit and not crashing. I'll only have a crash or tip over on roughly every second ride. In a race situation this is a good quality as it saves me from having those frantic, gonna get passed, moments. I'm not the fastest guy out there though, and I really don't have time to train at all. But in over tens years of racing on and off, and playriding before that, I've never had a broken bone or missed a day of work.

Maybe this quality is why I've seemingly peaked at a mid-pack AA rider though? I still finish ahead of all the A riders at just about every race, but I can't seem to crack the lead group. Oh, well. I ride for fun and the moment I quit enjoying myself at a race, she'll be playriding only from there on.