Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Default Are stock 07' springs to heavy for a 150lb rider?

As the title says, are they to heavy for a welk like myself.
Im thinking about re working my suspension, and correct springs is where one should start.
I think the stock springs are .43 and 5.2 respectively
Oh, and its the 45 marzocchi and sachs combo.
I do find the rear end to be a bit pogo like at times, especially over logs of any significant size, and when hitting bigger bumps at speed.

cheers

Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
As the title says, are they to heavy for a welk like myself.
Im thinking about re working my suspension, and correct springs is where one should start.
I think the stock springs are .43 and 5.2 respectively
Oh, and its the 45 marzocchi and sachs combo.
I do find the rear end to be a bit pogo like at times, especially over logs of any significant size, and when hitting bigger bumps at speed.

cheers
Pogoing indicates too much static sag.
Check your sag when you're fully dressed and sitting on the bike, should be 100mm.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

HI Noobi
I weigh 70 kg (155lbs). I have a .48 in the rear, stock in the front. Zoke/sachs as is yours. When your arm is better you are welcome to come out and have a ride - I have access to 400 odd acres right next door. If you like how my bike feels we could tune yours the same.

The pogoing you mention can either be too little rebound damping, or too much HS comp damping. Kinda depends on the shape of the bump, where you get it etc. I've got some good little spots here that I use frequently to test my settings.

Can anyone confirm the stock rear spring for the 200 ? Is it the same as the 250/300? (.52)
Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 AM

Thanks Barry, ill definitely take you up on that in about 7 or 8 weeks....haha
What brand rear spring did you use? was it a sachs one or does a jap spring crossover?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:15 PM

The spring is an EIBACH spring. Got it from Norm Cobb (local suspension guy) cost about $250 from memory.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 PM

Now that iv read the manual, it seems that the stock 200 spring is 5.0, which would be more suited to my weight, but the gasgas manual isnt exactly accurate.
I also got a quote to revalve the suspension from norm cobb of 180NZD per end + the cost of parts, which seems down right reasonable if he knows what hes doing, compared to the 720NZD for everything not including springs from motoSR.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Norm is a good guy who has had a ton of high level experience.
I talked to him about the forks when I got my spring off him - he wasn't that keen on Zokes and at the time suggested I try some shim shuffling myself. Maybe he was just real busy at that time.
A slight advantage of doing it yourself is that it costs zero and you learn something. It certainly makes you think alot harder about what the bike is doing, it forces you to try and sort out if you have a rear or front problem (which is not as simple as you would think), wether you have a compression or rebound problem etc. ( I have been riding for over thirty years but this bike has taught me more about suspension and handling and what causes what more than any other I have had simply because I have been fiddling with it ever since I bought it!) I am happy with the gains I have made from stock. However, the down side is you or I could probably never achieve the final result that Norm would give you....
As far as rear spring rate is concerned, if by adjusting preload, you can achieve a race sag of around 105mm with a corresponding free sag of 25-30mm, then the spring rate is OK for you.