Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Default '11 XC250 questions

I'm looking at potentially buying an '11 XC250 and I'm looking at the std. and 6d model. I don't have a problem with the Sachs shock being I've owned quite a few Huskys which are equipped with such but what has been anyone's experience with the Sachs forks that come on the std. model?
Graphics and guards of the 6d don't really make a big difference to me but the fact that it has the Ohlins/Maz suspension might perhaps sway me based on what little feedback I've been able to find in regards to the Sachs forks on the std model though I'd much rather hear real world feedback from everyday riders.
Oh and I'm 51 5'6" 170lbs geared up and "B" level rider and the bike would be used mostly as at MX track practice days,an occasional Vet MX or scramble and a couple of dual sports a year.
Thanks for any and all replies.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM

No personal experience with the Sachs forks but if you have some great deal on a bike with them I see no reason to shy away. They can be made to work just as good as a Marzocchi with 2 added benefits. 48mm vs 45mm Zokes and the Sachs forks can take an Ohlins TTX cartride insert should you choose.

Not sure where you are located (please fix you sig) but Les at LT Racing is a whiz with the Sachs stuff (and Marzocchi) and like most suspension you get at some point you will want it revalved. The money you save on a leftover bike with the Sachs stuff will pay for that vs the 2011 bikes.

Read up here http://www.lt-racing.com/html/sachss...on_topics.html
Old 01-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgmx View Post
I'm looking at potentially buying an '11 XC250 and I'm looking at the std. and 6d model. I don't have a problem with the Sachs shock being I've owned quite a few Huskys which are equipped with such but what has been anyone's experience with the Sachs forks that come on the std. model?
Graphics and guards of the 6d don't really make a big difference to me but the fact that it has the Ohlins/Maz suspension might perhaps sway me based on what little feedback I've been able to find in regards to the Sachs forks on the std model though I'd much rather hear real world feedback from everyday riders.
Oh and I'm 51 5'6" 170lbs geared up and "B" level rider and the bike would be used mostly as at MX track practice days,an occasional Vet MX or scramble and a couple of dual sports a year.
Thanks for any and all replies.
No reason to shy away from the Sachs forks. I was able to cure the residual mid-stroke harshness (after break-in) by a relatively simple mid-valve mod. I had to make tools to work on the Sachs forks and the shims are not standard (WP/KYB/Showa) sizing but they're easy enough to tune (relative to the KYBs, Showas, and WPs I've worked on) nevertheless.

The stock springs should work out for you as well as far as weight and riding level, although you may need to add a little preload.

My current plan is to race an '11 XC250 with the Sachs front and rear, and I'd do that with no hesitation.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Site Sponsor

I ride/race a 2011 XC250 with Sachs suspension. The suspension works great. I am pretty close to the same weight as you (175 no gear) and the only thing I have done is change to stiffer 4.4 fork springs. I always run my suspension a little firm. If you are riding motocross you may also need to do this, but for woods is should be just about perfect.

www.battlecreekpowersports.com
423-942-9056
Jasper, TN
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRH250XC View Post
I ride/race a 2011 XC250 with Sachs suspension. The suspension works great. I am pretty close to the same weight as you (175 no gear) and the only thing I have done is change to stiffer 4.4 fork springs. I always run my suspension a little firm. If you are riding motocross you may also need to do this, but for woods is should be just about perfect.
X2 I have about 10 -15lbs on you...the Sachs on my 2011 seemed a little soft for wide open desert stuff but deflection was minimal....but they worked really good in lower speed woods stuff.....no trouble using all the stroke