Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Default GasGas UK's suggestions for more low end

Me and another chap who may be working on my EC200 have just had 2 separate conversations with 2 different people at Gasgas UK regarding getting more bottom end power.

Both conversations went along the lines of "don't bother with flywheel weights and volume powervalves, just thin the bottom gasket first, as it is easier than doing the squish and has decent impact. Then do the squish if you still need more."

I was hoping to get a powervalve spacer or flywheel weight and just bolt on but he said I'd just slow the bike down. Most people seem to report some grunt for a weight. Confused. Maybe I should just buy them and see.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 AM

You do not slow the bike down, because in high rpm the PV is open and the increased chamber has no effect.
I would try the spacer and next a thinner gasket. As fare as I know there is also a FMF Gnarly available for the 200cc
Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 PM

he said the heavy flywheel slows the bike down....
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM

Ok ok, yes maybe, but I think it smooths it more than slows it down!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Smooth is good for me. I though, with him working for gasgas, he might be a good rider and want an aggressive setup.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:06 PM

I may be able to help here. I own 2 EC200's. Ones a '99 and the other is a '03. They both have the exact same setup with fresh topends, LT power valve cover and same jetting. Same tires, etc. The only difference between the 2 bikes is that the '99 has an FMF Gnarly and the '03 has a FMF Fatty.

I rode them both back to back yesterday on the same singletrack trail. The difference in the power delivery is quite significant.

The '99 with the Gnarly pulls immediately off the bottom. It will loft the front end at lower rpms easily. It pulls hard to mid and then settles down and signs off as you get to the top.

The '03 with the Fatty is much softer on the bottom. It is smooth on the bottom but doesn't have the pull. But, it comes on strong after 1/4 throttle and is nice and strong at the middle. It keeps pulling very well all the way to the top.

Both bikes are effective in the singletrack. For me, coming off of 250's and 300's I like the pull right off the bottom but am getting used to riding more at mid throttle where the '03, which is mine, likes to be ridden. The '99 is my sons and he is good at riding a gear high, plus he likes wheeling
Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Easy to change the gearing, and easy to change back.

Fly wheel weight adds rotational mass and slows the response down. You could try running a bit heavy rear wheel some time as it'll do similar. I see it as an option to smooth things out and perhaps become more tractable, not more power.

Port timing (via base gaskets) has a noticable effect on the power curve the engine makes. When it comes into its band, and when it signs off. Altering it also alters the squish clearance and compression ratio so be aware of the other variables.

Increasing compression also adds to the bottom end snap, but can rob from the top end and if taken too far will result in poor running and the requirement for excess fuel to keep it cool.

Squish clearance should be set once determining the port timing. A tuner will then machine the clearance, angle, and adjust the volume of the combustion chamber to meet the desired compression ratio. Gives a boost across the board and results in more efficient running, better fuel economy, and more stable jetting.

I agree with Gas Gas advice, but I'd do the head straight up too. I stand by this so much it was the first thing I did on my 2013 model. I've learnt not to waste time chasing circles until tolerances are within the desired range.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Forgot to mention both bikes are running 13/51 gearing
Old 07-10-2014, 07:48 PM

I take that back, mine has a 52 rear and the '99 has a 51 rear.

What pipe do you have?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

On my 02 200 I fit the PV spacer which I made but never properly tested before and after.

No question 1 base gasket (std had 2) and re shaping the head and raising the comp is best option.

I love few weight on my 300 but 200 EC didn't need it